Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Default buying first set of clubs, what should i avoid?

tomorrow going to get a few clubs, dont know much about golf yet so not planning on buying a full set. i've been told i should just get a 1 and 3 wood, 9 and 5 iron, and a putter to start, any suggestions as to what i should look for?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: buying first set of clubs, what should i avoid?

sorry to double post, but just found this site, what do you think of the sets it recommends?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tomorrow going to get a few clubs, dont know much about golf yet so not planning on buying a full set. i've been told i should just get a 1 and 3 wood, 9 and 5 iron, and a putter to start, any suggestions as to what i should look for?

[/ QUOTE ]

about 5 years ago when i was a junior in HS I bought a set of Ram golf clubs to learn on. It was about $225 i think and it came with driver 3 and 5 wood...3-PW irons and putter and bag...it was nice to learn on but after i started to get better I upgraded but I am def glad I didnt waste a lot of money early on clubs until I got decent...that is my advice if you are just looking for a set to learn with and dont want to spend money. If money is not your issue you just need to see what is cheapest with the name brands or go to a local golf shop and ask around, most places are pretty helpful.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:32 PM

alright, the sets in that link i posted seemed around 300. only reason i didnt want to just ask the person selling me clubs was just that, they are selling me something so i assume i will be told i need to buy a bunch of crap i dont need, if that probably isnt the case then ill just go with what they tell me.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:40 PM

I bought a set of Rams last summer for about 260, the sets come with hybrids now if you want and a decent range of styles and driver sizes and putters. I like having them even though I'm like a 3534534 hc'er [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2007, 11:49 PM

LoL...I have RAMs too. I went to Target and for $145.00 got a Driver/3-wood/5-wood/3-hybrid/4i thru 9i and PW...(no SW) and a Putter. Plus 200 tees and a box of top flight golf balls.

for $145 I thought it was a bargain

oh and it came with a decent sized bag with good shoulder straps and a bunch of pockets. Its a kinda crappy set but I'm a beginner so to each his own.

I also got a bunch of cleveland and taylormade head covers from the country club lost and found so my clubs don't look cheap [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref...asin=B000JQWL4I
Old 06-17-2007, 11:56 PM

seems like rams is the way to go, i looked at their site and there are a few sets they have, other than the one posted above any other specific ones you guys recomend?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:43 AM

dont bother with a driver
Old 06-18-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dont bother with a driver

[/ QUOTE ]

alright, and will the set come with the robe and wizard hat or do i buy those separately?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:13 AM

Here's what I have, I like it and do okay with it (clubs aren't my problem, I'm just bad and don't play enough and have never had lessons.) I've used them a lot in the past year or so and haven't ever had any hardware problems or even anything little like a zipper break on the bag or anything like that. For the money I have to say, these are pretty damn good.

http://www.bhmgolf.com/desc.ydev?prod_id=11782 (Its an older model now I think and I don't think I paid 260, think that was the upper set I passed on and went for this one at around 200, trying to find the receipt, but it def. went down in price.)