Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Why do you work out / diet / train?

There's a large variety of people in here - athletes, bodybuilders, people who just want to get fit, people who want to drop a few pounds, and so forth. Why do you hit the gym every other day, go running outside, avoid french fries, and eat grilled chicken until you can't even taste it anymore?

I work out, diet, and train for (mainly) one reason only: To excel as a baseball player.

The comments about "wow, you look good man" and "have you lost some weight" (typically when I go back to Cleveland) are secondary, but always nice motivators. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Why do you work out / diet / train?

1) My health. My dad had a heart attack on New Year's Eve. He was only 60. For some reason, we were lucky enough to have him survive and have no apparent lasting effects (memory and all that were fine). He was eating pretty well, but I basically rededicated myself to treating myself as well as I could, because I'd like to be around for a long time.

2) My appearance. I admit, I'm a bit shallow in this regard, but I've never seen myself with a true 6-pack, and I'm on my way. By the middle of August, I should be somewhere between 12 and 14% bodyfat if I keep things up, and that's a great start for me. I get lazy during school because of my ridiculous hours, but I motivate myself with the mirror and scale. And of course, the GF who I'm sure likes a more fit me.

3) Football. I've got three seasons of NCAA eligibility left, but only one more season to play as undergrad. I think what's held my progress back (I'm a kicker, so I don't need a 4.3 40 or a 350 pound bench) has been my conditioning and flexibility. With this new program, I think I'll make it at the D2 level this year.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:59 PM

I train Thai Boxing and Jujitsu.

For me, it's general health, self defense, keeping my mind right, etc. I'm trying to get my cardio back to something resonable; so bad right now.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:35 PM

For me, general health benefits, improved physical appearance, and competitive nature. I want to be able to play tennis and have my skill be my weak point (lol), not my conditioning. I want to be able to play basketball and enjoy the game, not pant my way from one end of the court to the other.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:54 PM

look good for bitches.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:10 PM

I don't work out or diet. but thanks for asking.

oh, you weren't talking specifically to me were you? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

but that is why I saw your post, cause i'm fixin to.

I did ride my bicycle today for the first time in about 2 years. Well actually yesterday was the first time but it was only about 10 min before the storm hit. Rode for 50 min today.

I'm not dieting yet. I don't want to change too many routines at once. I'm 5'4" and about 220. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I used to ride all the time and was in great shape. I hope I'm on the road back and maybe this place will help me stay motivated/too embarrassed to quit.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:17 PM

This probably sounds retarded... But I lift/workout so I can be capable. I like being able to move around furniture in my apartment or large weights in the gym. I also like my technique and not my conditioning being my weak link in grappling (or the fact that I'm a large white guy with respect to Basketball).

I've been small at various points in life either because of high school cross country or because of a disease; I hated it.

Oh yeah, and when a cute asian chick saw me lifting and came over to talk... that wasnt a bad thing either.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:33 PM

1. Looks
2. Health- men do not have long lifespans in my family.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a large variety of people in here - athletes, bodybuilders, people who just want to get fit, people who want to drop a few pounds, and so forth. Why do you hit the gym every other day, go running outside, avoid french fries, and eat grilled chicken until you can't even taste it anymore?

I work out, diet, and train for (mainly) one reason only: To excel as a baseball player.

The comments about "wow, you look good man" and "have you lost some weight" (typically when I go back to Cleveland) are secondary, but always nice motivators. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of Cleveland? What HS did you go to?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:58 PM

Oh yah, for the ladies, and my general health obv. Also for gaelic football(although I guess thats just what gets me in shape...)