Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 07:16 AM

Default Slight back pain after dumbbell deadlift

I'm new to working out.

I did deadlift yesterday, and my back hurts slightly. I wonder if this is normal, or your back should never hurt? FYI, I use one of those "workout belt."

Thanks

Soh
Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Slight back pain after dumbbell deadlift

I was going to make a similar post but I'll just post here.

I did regular barbell deadlifts yesterday and had to stop three sets in because of some pain in my lower back area. Is this normal or ... bad? Maybe I was using too much weight? My form completely broke down after I started feeling the pain.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:42 PM

You should not be having any pain in your lower back (except for soreness/burn). If you are, dial back the amount of weight you are using and really focus on your form before gradually adding it back, injuring your lower back is not fun so be extra careful is my advice.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Your back is going to be a bit tight/sore just from doing the lifting which is more than likely the issue.

You may be sore the next day because you likely dont workout your back like your other body parts.

It shouldnt be like a pain pain from doing the lift but more like a tight feeling.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:40 PM

Don't wear a workout belt. Keep your core tight and your lower back arched. If you begin to lose the arch or lose it, just leg go of the weight immediately. Doing that will pretty much remove any chance of moderate to serious injury. Delayed onset muscle soreness is to be expected and welcomed.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:14 PM

There's a difference between pain and soreness. Pain isn't good.

Rest (recover), then reduce the weight, and make sure your form is correct. Yup, wearing a belt is often counter-productive. Like smiley said, maintain the arch and keep your core tight and in position (abs, lower back, glutes.)

Check out some deadlift videos and muscle recruitment information. Getting the form and technique right, and ditching the belt, helped me tremendously.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:18 PM

OK, as I said with my OP, I'm new to this, and I always thought that belt>no belt. When is right to use a belt?
Old 06-16-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, as I said with my OP, I'm new to this, and I always thought that belt>no belt. When is right to use a belt?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a beginner I would say never. I've used one going for personal bests squatting or o-lifting, but those are lifts I've trained for at least a year and even then I probably shouldn't use them much at all.

In general people use belts in the gym because it gives you support in your lower back/core that would otherwise come from their weak abdominal muscles. Same reason people military press or whatever sitting down-it's all just a crutch. Use your whole body as much as possible to build overall functional strength/size.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:29 AM

One thing that might help you keep form down is taking a 1-2 second rest between REPS, so that you can reset and do your routine for every rep, not just the first. It will also give your head a chance to get some oxygen.