Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Anyone hear about what happened midtown east last night?

?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Anyone hear about what happened midtown east last night?

No. How about you?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:31 PM

I have been asked by the owner to make sure this topic does not get discussed here for the protection and safety of XXXX, YYYY and ZZZZ. Sorry to those of you who have no clue of what I am talking about, but that is intentional - I wish we could disclose, but its in our best interest to avoid this topic.

************update************

The cat is out of the bag, the person who asked us not to discuss what happened at the robbery just sent me this link. REMEMBER - Although i am going to unlock this thread there can be no discussing intimate details or names. Also as a word of warning, I think there is a rather high probability that all the known operating underground private clubs will be raided in the coming weeks, this generally tends top happen after a major robbery.
PS - Yes, the NYPD was at the scene.

PPS: READ THE FAQ BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD!
************update************

Who Knew? Upper East Side Underground Poker Club Robbed at Gunpoint

The illegal poker scene in New York just got a little more dangerous.

Last night, an underground poker club at 328 East 61st Street was robbed at gunpoint by two men, according to City Councilwoman Jessica Lappin’s office. The men stole approximately $50,000 from the establishment and the patrons.

According to sources, the establishment, located on the third floor of the building, had been operating for about six months. Prior tothat, another poker room had existed at the same location for approximately a year and a half. It had been robbed as well.

The club had eight tables offering various types of poker, according to sources, and on Wednesdays offered a $1,000 buy-in tournament. By one player’s account, it was not uncommon for there to be upwards of $100,000 in play on certain nights.

Councilwoman Lappin felt that the incident could have been avoided if the police had acted sooner.

“I told the NYPD about the existence of this illegal gambling hall weeks ago,” Councilwoman Lappin, a Democrat whose district includes much of the Upper East Side, said in a press release. “We’re lucky that no one was hurt, but a bust could have prevented this dangerous armed robbery from happening. At least now this den of inequity is closed for good.”

link - NY Observer
Old 06-15-2007, 05:49 PM

expensive tourney's at a club is a terrible idea. plus that club's security was a joke. no double doors, frisking and not enough cameras. now, because of their incompetence, i must look over my back for the possible round of raides. those guys better keep their mouth shut.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 PM

Has Councilwoman Lappin been questioned? Sounds like she had a beef.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:03 PM

I live in Portland Oregon. We have our own 'underground' clubs here. I can think of at least 2 that operate with zero security. I guess we must be a trusting bunch out here or something. It is semi-legal though here so that may have something to do with it.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least now this den of inequity is closed for good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night sucked -- and I think the many donkeys would agree that it was a den of inequity -- but I think the counselwoman said (or meant) iniquity.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night sucked -- and I think the many donkeys would agree that it was a den of inequity -- but I think the counselwoman said (or meant) iniquity.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to try and show off your spelling genius skills be sure to spell all the words in your reply correctly...mohran
Old 06-15-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to try and show off your spelling genius skills be sure to spell all the words in your reply correctly...mohran

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was focusing on the irony of the spelling mistake, not the spelling mistake itself. Inequity... very funny.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Wow, I was very surprised to hear about this yesterday night. I was going to head over there later until I heard the news from a friend. Agreed about the security, one guy with a metal detector and little cameras was horrible security. Hope this doesnt end up too badly.