Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Home STT - QQ on the button

This pot is against a rival of mine so I know him pretty well
and he knows me as well. I'll spare you all the meta game details and just go on with the hand.

7/9 players left
20$ buy-in
starting chips: 5000t
Blinds: 50-100 (lvl 1)

Hero: ~4700t
Villain: ~4500t
(A couple people got knocked out already, so some guys have 9K-10K, but almost everyone has around 5K chips.)

HAND:

I'm on the button I receive QQ, 4 people have limped when it is up to me, I raise it up to 500 total, blinds fold, UTG (villain) flat calls, then it goes, fold, fold, call.

By now the pot is ~1900.

3 handed
FLOP:

2d Jc 5s

Villain checks, second guy checks, Hero bets 900.

Villain flat calls, second guy folds.

TURN:

8d

Villain check, Hero checks

(2700 in pot)
RIVER:

8c

Villain bets 2000, Hero????

What do you do at this point? Is this a call or a lay down? Should I of bet the turn?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Home STT - QQ on the button

Reads?

Raise more pre-flop, at least t700, maybe a bit more like t800.

As played, bet more on flop, like t1200 to t1400.

As played, bet about 1/2 pot on turn.

As played, I'd probably call the river and puke when he shows the A8o or some crap like that.

Reads would really help here.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:51 AM

This guy is really trappy VS me because he knows I'm an agressive player, and would make a cbet this size. But his range of calling hands preflop with that raise (and you are right, I don't think I raised enough pre flop)is pretty wide. On the other hand, I don't think he is crazy enough to call a bet on the flop with ace 8 flop to try and "outplay me" on the turn, since he sees me as tight, and even though my raise came from the button, I don't think he thinks it's a steal. He is capable of bluffing on the river though if he sees me as weak from my check on the turn.

Is that helpful?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:42 PM

Against a trappy villain, what do you think villain would have to smooth call your pre-flop raise and then smooth call your bet on the flop with on this pretty dry board? No likely draws here, so the only hand you are really worried about is a set (the two pair hands of J5, J2 and 52 seem very unlikely unless villain is a complete donk). Would villain play it like this with JJ, 55 or 22? I would probably play JJ the way villain has played it by limping from UTG, calling your pre-flop raise, checking top set on the flop and smooth calling your flop bet. Seems villain might fold 55 or 22 here to your pre-flop raise (especially if you had raised bit more pre-flop). Villain also might play top pair with a decent kicker (AJ, KJ) or maybe just a lower pocket pair (TT, 99) this way too thinking that you are making a standard c-bet with a hand like AK or AQ. I assume that villain would not limp AA or KK from UTG and if so villain would probably toss out a raise by now. There aren’t any likely straight draws or flush draws here with a J52 rainbow board.

Against a trappy villain, I'm concerned with his limp-call/check-call/check line but, as played, I'm still tossing out a bet for value on the turn with our overpair, maybe around t1200 to t1500. If villain still smooth calls a turn bet, then I hope he checks the river so I could check behind. If villain had check-called the whole way and then bets on the river, I’d be very suspicious and would think about a fold even though by this point we have invested 2/3rds of our stack in this pot (t500 pre-flop, t900 on flop and a suggested t1200 to t1500 on turn), leaving us about a t1800 stack left, about 18 big blinds so we aren’t quite desperate yet.

As played, villain’s river bet here could be anything, especially since you said he's fully capable of bluffing the river if he reads you as weak. I like raising more pre-flop, betting more on the flop and betting the turn and then trying to put him on a hand.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy is really trappy VS me because he knows I'm an agressive player, and would make a cbet this size. But his range of calling hands preflop with that raise (and you are right, I don't think I raised enough pre flop)is pretty wide. On the other hand, I don't think he is crazy enough to call a bet on the flop with ace 8 flop to try and "outplay me" on the turn, since he sees me as tight, and even though my raise came from the button, I don't think he thinks it's a steal. He is capable of bluffing on the river though if he sees me as weak from my check on the turn.

Is that helpful?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, you should bet the turn again, the board is good for your hand and theres not much reason to think youre behind here, id be looking to play a big pot still.

as played, id snap call the river. The bet doesn't make a ton of sense, he could have a monster but the way the hand played out given his pf range, he's on air a lot of the time also.

I'd also bet more on the flop btw, at least half the pot.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:39 PM

Thank you for the help guys, I knew these forums would be very helpful.

I did in fact CALL the bet on the river even though I was almost sure he had me beat (don't know why I still do that...)

Kinda sucks because I had the feeling he would play his FH the way he did, but check the river if he had ace jack, his second most likely holding.

Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:32 PM

The river is a call and I like the turn check. You've probably induced a bluff from a worse hand, so call it.

EDIT: Just read the results and there's no way you're "almost certainly beat" in that hand against that opponent. I'd guess he has you beat about 20% of the time there.