Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 12:29 AM

Default German Restaurants in Vegas?

Can anyone help me out here? I saw the Hofbrauhaus and was wondering if anyone could give me a personal review or another recommendation.

TIA
Old 06-14-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: German Restaurants in Vegas?

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8954/?view=beerfly
Old 06-14-2007, 05:59 AM

I've been to three.

Hofbrauhaus is for the tourists, but the food was fine--seating is on big long picnic-table style benches with an ommpah band blasting away your favorite german polkas.

Swiss Cafe I thought was very good; it's east on Tropicana between Eastern and Pecos in a shopping mall. (Yeah, it says "Swiss" Cafe but it's really mostly German food.) Almost went there last night but ended up with Verrazano's pizza instead.

Cafe Heidelberg on Sahara a couple blocks east of the strip between Paradise and Maryland is really tiny, but also I thought pretty good. And if you need live music, they did have a 113yo (looking) accordion player teetering on a stool squeeking out tunes duing part of the one meal I've eaten there.

Mind you, I'm no connoisseur of German eats--it's all just shredded potatoes and breaded meat and gravy to me.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:06 AM

I agree that The Hofbrauhaus is very touristy, which is good or bad depending on your needs. I went there while on vacation and had a great time. Food-wise it was good, but it is was it is. I would have wurst ( sausage ), my friend had sauerbrauten. He thought it was good and he had lived in Germany for what that is worth. It is a beer hall, not a great restaurant. It will be loud and hopefully fun. The beer is very good and in very good condition. Hofbrau is one of the big German breweries and they are part of their chain of restaurants.

I enjoyed it and would go back again. The more people the merrier and expected loud drunk, but fun, behaviour.

Despite German food's bad reputation there are some some very good German restaurants. But I live in New York so I have had good German food as far back as I can remember.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that The Hofbrauhaus is very touristy, which is good or bad depending on your needs. I went there while on vacation and had a great time. Food-wise it was good, but it is was it is. I would have wurst ( sausage ), my friend had sauerbrauten. He thought it was good and he had lived in Germany for what that is worth. It is a beer hall, not a great restaurant. It will be loud and hopefully fun. The beer is very good and in very good condition. Hofbrau is one of the big German breweries and they are part of their chain of restaurants.

I enjoyed it and would go back again. The more people the merrier and expected loud drunk, but fun, behaviour.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty accurate. At dinner, especially on weekends, it gets loud with the bands and all the people. Good vibe. It is also nice just after workday lunch time...around 2pm on weekdays. Its quiet, very relaxed, and relatively few people in there, and the beer is very good. The food is mediocre and overpriced though. Still, a meal is typically $10-20. They have daily lunch specials for like $7 or $8.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:46 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

I've been to the Hofbrau a few times. As others mentioned, the noise can be overwhelming, but after you're half-way thru one of the huge mugs of beer, it's quite tolerable. And you may even find it humorous when the oompah-band plays the theme from the movie "The Longest Day." The food is quite good and the servings are huge. The wiener schnitzel is excellent and entirely covers a huge plate. The German potato salad is also quite good, and I can't recommend the Black Forest cake highly enough.

I've been to Cafe Heidelberg a couple of times. The food is good with a wider selection than the Hofbrau but it is a bit pricier and you may have a wait as the place is pretty small as it's located in a strip center. As bav pointed out, the geriatric accordionist is a sight all its own.