Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Default TPTK OOP for big pot early in tourney

The first level of a Live $40 NLHE tourney, blinds 25/50. 22 players remaining from 24, with 8 at my table. My stack is 2650, having started with 3000. I have A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in UTG+1 and raise to 150, getting 4 callers: MP, Button (both good players, have won a few pots and have me comfortably covered) and both blinds (unknown) - pot 750, my stack is 2500.

Flop A-5-2 rainbow. It's checked to me, I bet 500, MP folds, Button dwells a while then calls, blinds fold - pot 1750, I have 2000 remaining.

Turn T.

What now? My thoughts are that checking would invite a steal, but betting puts me close to being pot-committed, and it's too early to risk an exit with TPTK.

The feasible hands I don't like are A-T, 5-5 and possibly A-5s or A-2s. Without a flush draw on the flop I don't imagine him calling any other A-Xs. Hands I'm beating that would call pre- and post-flop might be A-Q, A-J. I'm quite new to thinking in ranges - and usually end up doing it after the event - so any help there would be welcome. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: TPTK OOP for big pot early in tourney

Id bet more pre flop from this posititon, you really dont want a multi way pot OOP. i make this 200 or 250 pre flop. Hopefully this will mean maybe heads up to the flop and a smaller flop bet required. As played I check the turn, if he bets under half the pot I call, if he shoves I think for a long time and probably lose all brain activity lol. All depends on the read but if you think he's capable of slow playing 2 pair or a set in this way then check, if not then shove. AK is ahead of a the vast majority of his range here.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:22 PM

Your pf raise was fine. You could bet 200 if you want but whatever, 150 is fine. You don't really want AQ/AJ/KQ to fold.

I would have bet the pot on the flop (700) so that my turn shove would not be an overbet. No ace is ever folding to a flop pot sized bet.

As played bet 800 on the turn and shove the river.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 AM

I like the idea of raising more from EP to keep the pot small (especially at a table where a standard raise from EP gets four callers!), even though it sounds counter-intuitive at first. Generally I open with the same amount (3BB + 1BB per limper) for all hands in all positions. I've been considering introducing Harrington's method of randomising bet sizes across ranges, but have now just started the Full Tilt book, in which Chris Ferguson advises a consistently smaller raise from EP. So many choices...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 AM

As it happens, I did bet 800 on the turn. Another long dwell from the button, then he raises exactly enough to put me all-in - another 1200. My thoughts:

Calling: it's a death-or-glory move. I either become chip leader and critically wound a dangerous opponent's stack, or I make an early exit and change my plans for the rest of the evening.

Folding: I'm getting 3.8-to-1 to call, but his range just shrank to the point that I must be too big a dog to call. If I fold I'll have a stack of 12BB after the impending blind increase, down but not out.

Regarding the odds, I ran PokerStove last night and put myself at 70% on the flop and 5% on the turn. That seems to suggest a clear fold... but if my turn equity was say 25%, making it a call in an abstract scenario, would calling be a good move in an freezeout situation?

Like paddymcg21, I lose all brain activity! Thanks for the feedback folks.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:05 AM

I would have shoved on the turn.. 1750 is a nice pot at that point if he doesn't call. If he's hoping with a smaller ace... let him call now with one card to come to hit his kicker, but for all his chips.

I assume this would have gotten us to broke as well... but quicker and with large balls [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]