Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Playing AAxx PF in position in a large raised multi-way pot

Alright I feel like what I'm gonna ask will seem trivial, but I'm not sure it really is.

Context: PLO25, Bodog. Stacks are ~100BB everywhere. The table is wild. Pots are huge. People chase about anything and will play ATC (not 4, litteraly 2)

Hero is on the button with AAragrag unsuited. UTG limps and UTG+1 raises pot, gets 4 callers, action to Hero...

Play here?

1 - Things that favors a pot size raise: size of the current pot, already fat, + position post flop, + hand strength

2 - Things that make the pot size raise a -EV: table condition (my guess is that my raise - however big it is - will be called in 4 places), + hand playability post flop, + reverse implied odds, + revealing entirely my hand PF, + potentially being freerolled by a better AAxx (i.e I'd do it 100% with AAJTds)

I do not want to seem like a wuss for tending to flat call here, since my position is good post flop and will make it easier, however ideally w/ AAxx I'd love to be HU in this spot, but at this table it IS an utopia.

Isolating would be great but won't happen. At the extreme opposite, if I could get called in >5 places, raising for set value would even make sense (the pot will be so big even on a A72 flop I'll get a caller). But in the present case, I will be against the most unprofitable number of opponents (4) and will most likely not see an ace in that flop (at least not often enough).

So here's my thought...any1 else would flat call here? Any insult w/ good arguments will be appreciated. At least I explained myself thorougly. Thanks!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Playing AAxx PF in position in a large raised multi-way pot

Flat call. If your unsuited and its rag rage, you're really only playing for a set. Sounds like your not going to isolate anyone, AA wont hold up in multi way pots without flushdraws/nut straight possiblilties.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 AM

Thanks for confirming. Wasn't sure if I was becoming weak tight or a better NoFoldOmahold'em player.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:40 AM

minraise.

seriously.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Ab, I think your reasoning is perfectly reasonable here. You only wanna repot if you can get a large percentage of your stack in OR, your aces are nice, like double suited, or double pair, OR, you have a history of three betting with something else other than just AAxy.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 AM

minraise for pure set value hoping to get called in 6+ places?

I thought about it. Interesting. I really don't know. Flat call is OK, pot is pretty bad, minraise...I might have the right number of opponents, and they seem not to reraise too frequently so why not. Do you sincerely believe it's a +EV?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:53 AM

Can't you get 70% of your stack in preflop by raising pot? Why wouldn't you do that?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 AM

I remember I could raise to a little over $7 (it's PLO25) after the EP raise and callers, and my stack was >$25. So no. I woulda loved to play that way if shortstacked. But even then, I would have been called in 4+ places and I doubt it would have worked out that well...
Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 AM

My mistake. 35%, that does make a difference given how raggy your aces are. I'd minraise if you've done that with a wide range of hand, my range of hands for repotting is quite wide though so I'd be happy with that. Otherwise I just call and hope to flop the nuts.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
minraise.

seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i love this play!