Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Top 2 Facing Aggression

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

<u>Hero (SB): $25.10</u>
<u>BB: $41.65</u>
UTG: $25.40
CO: $37.19
BTN: $21.55

<font color="black">Reads: </font><font color="blue">No reads about 10 hands in… BB has been in every pot so far but has not shown down a hand.

I was intending to c/r a cbet on the flop.

I think my turn bet &amp; call are ok.

On the river I called what I thought was a reasonable bet. I had intended on c/f to a PSB or better.

Advice on all streets appreciated.</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.76</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.66, BB calls $0.51

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($2.28) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($2.28) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.19</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $6.75</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $4.56

<font color="black">River:</font> ($15.78) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $8.25</font>, Hero calls $8.25

Pot Size: $32.28 ($1.60 Rake)
Old 06-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Top 2 Facing Aggression

It sounds like BB is the table bully. I think you did fine.

If BB had been really aggressive during the past 10 hands, it's possible I would call the river no matter how much he bet.

Anyway, though, the fact that he appears to have whiffed on a flop checkraise makes it even more difficult than it would be otherwise to put him on a hand. (I mean, I was going to say that you'd think he'd be the type of player to bet a flush draw on the flop, but that becomes less true if he's hoping to checkraise CO instead.)
Old 06-11-2007, 07:52 PM

I don't like going for a c/r on the flop. I'd just bet out and hope that BB gets frisky or CO raises you with AK.

The rest of the hand is fine I think. You're kind of in a tough spot. I really hate going into c/c mode and then seeing BB flip over KJ or something, but what can you do?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:12 PM

What about this flop makes a c/r a bad play? Is it the suitedness/connectedness or is my hand just not strong enough?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:17 PM

I don't like going for a c/r here because giving your opponents a free card really hurts here. Any 2 broadway cards have at least a gutshot, usually more. Also, betting out sandwiches BB in between you and the pfr. That is, if you're going for a c/r from CO's CB, you're effectively shutting BB out of the hand. If you bet, perhaps the action could go bet-call-raise then you re-raise having gotten a bet out of BB.

The point is that I think this board connected with enough hands that if you bet out I think you're going to get raised a fair amount of the time and will be able to 3-bet. That combined with the harm in giving a free card makes a bet attractive to me here.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:39 PM

I like leading this flop too, would be a disaster for them to take a free card. Also many apponents will percieve leading out as being a much 'weaker' holding than a check raise would represent meaning you might get called/raised with a wider range.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM

Thanks NSchandler... your advice makes perfect sense. I'm not good with c/r in general. I tend to use them in multiway pots with strong hands/draws or to defend constant cbet'ers heads up. I run about 3%.

Is there a thread on c/r anywhere?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 PM

I'm not sure I agree with preflop call, tho' I probably do it. You're dominated a lot of the time, and out of position to boot.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it the suitedness/connectedness or is my hand just not strong enough?

[/ QUOTE ]
You say this as if these concepts are mutually exclusive. Your hand is not strong enough because of the suitedness/connectedness.

I always lead out this flop. I most likely have the best hand right now, but I don't want to give free draws. I also want AQ and AK to go busto with me right here right now. I also want to set up future flop aggression.

I bet less on the turn, maybe $1.50. Big enough not to give odds to draw to a flush, but small enough to avoid going broke.