Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Is 6 hands enough for a read?

Just sat down and the Villain raises three of the first 6 hands and plays 5 of them. The two he shows he has nothing. Then this one comes up(first hand I am dealt):

I knew he would bet out on the flop with anything so I checkraised. Then he minraised which I found odd.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $24.75
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $25.00</font>
UTG: $3.90
MP: $24.25
CO: $12.15
BTN: $32.95

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $1.25</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $1.25, SB folds, Hero calls $1.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($3.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $1.50</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $6.50</font>, Hero?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Is 6 hands enough for a read?

His minraise is odd. Looks like he thinks you think he has nothing and he is trying to say that he does have something. you do look a bit silly if you shove and he instacalls with better though. I'd fold and get a bit more info on him.

I am planning to do a theory post on this topic soon (small sample sizes), so stay tuned...
Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I knew he would bet out on the flop with anything so I checkraised. Then he minraised which I found odd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, you're in a world of pain now.

I think six hands is sometimes enough for some kind of read (and maybe more than you'd expect) but this guy could be any of the following: a maniac, a straight fish, a good player who's trying to build up a loose table image, or someone who's just had a good run of cards in the six hands you've played with him. It would probably be a good idea to develop a better idea of which of these he is before acting too strongly on it.

More importantly, I don't think getting aggro with marginal holdings is a good idea against any of these possibilities, apart from maybe the good player, which is the least likely.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM

Man the more I think about this the worse it looks.

Anyway, I lost the actual printout of the hand, but the turn was the 5c and he bet out $6 into around $16. I still thought there was a decent chance I had the best hand and I had added a gutshot so I called. The river was a 2 or a 3 and he threw in the last $10 which I called. He had K8 off. I won but looking back I guess I look like a CS. But I thought I had the best hand on the flop and nothing came out that would change that.

He rebought and blew another buy in before quitting. My read was right but I guess I need to wait longer to be sure.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I look like a CS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really important if you're making a good play. I'm struggling to find anything else to say that isn't very results-orientated, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:58 PM

wait for a better spot please
Old 06-11-2007, 04:02 PM

I know lots of people don't like to hear it,but sometimes the results speak for themselves. If the actual hand he holds isn't part of the range you have given him for analysis, then you aren't constructing his full range properly.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:08 PM

i don't think anyone made any attempt to give this villain a 'range'
Old 06-11-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think anyone made any attempt to give this villain a 'range'

[/ QUOTE ]

No they haven't, except for may be the guy that said "Look for a better spot please" which implies we are behind the Villian's range. If you are ahead of his range you should never look for a better spot.

My point was simply that sometimes the results can speak for themselves, and this usually has to do with having a read on Villian.

Looseness and Overaggression are much easier to pick up on earlier than is tightness and passivity.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 PM

If I had 30 hands with him and he had raised half of them and played 25 of them mostly to the showdown or the other players folded, would this still be a bad play?