Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 07:02 AM

Default nl holdem theory and practice

i started to play poker 9 months ago. from nl 10 i'm playing nl200 now. most of the time 6 handed. im not a great player but a progressing one.
to develop my game i have bought the book of mr sklansky nl holdem theory and practice.
the books gives me a lot of information, its a new world for me.
but it is very complicated for people at my level. there are so many things u have to think about when u play, it is difficult to practice. reading your opponents, manipulating the potsize, let your opponents make mistakes is theory but difficult to do that in practice.
also the calculations how much to bet or to bluff are complicated and difficult to use when you play at internet 4 tables the same time.

what i miss in this book - and a lot of books - is reading your opponent, specially on the internet. on the internet with 4 tables or more reading the opponent is very difficult, even with the help of Pokertracker.
what i also miss is the psychology of poker (on the internet).
Poker is calculation, analyse, but also for many of us a highly emotional game.
my conclusion is that the book is of a very high scientific level. but there is no attention for the emotional aspects (tilting, ego and how to prevent it) of the players.
Some books say dont play when u are drunk and tired. but those emotional aspects i dont mean.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: nl holdem theory and practice

It's a NL book written by a limit geek. So he's thinking about the game in a mathsy limit kinda way. I don't know if he's even ever been a really great NL player has he? It seems to offer some insight in a mathsy way but isn't a complete guide to NL. I guess you take from it what you can and leave the rest.

BTW, I don't believe the EV and equity calcs are meant to be done at the table. You'd need to be a mental arithmetic whizz to do that. I think they are used to explain why certain plays are right on a theoretical basis.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:33 AM

Uhh I'm pretty sure sklansky is a pretty legit NL player. Not the greatest but a fairly high level player. I also found the book very useful towards NL.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:10 AM

for sure the book is very good, but to make the theory your own in practice is very difficult
but maybe thats the raison poker is a very complicated game and thats why most people lose their money with playing poker.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:36 PM

its a good book to be able to think at a higher level but i like his book on nl theory and practice
Old 06-13-2007, 11:46 PM

For me this is the best book written on NLHE by a long shot. A lot better than Largay or any of the others. I don't know why people don't seem to like it. When I was reading it blew me away, and my whole way of thinking about NLHE has gone to a much higher level. I don't know what everyone was looking for, but in my view this book is just as revolutionary as Harrington's were for NL tournaments.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 PM

hey guys this is bruiser here. first of all i have played NLHe with slansky, he is bad. secondly my book is just about done will probably be out as an ebook in the next couple of months i think avaialble on cardrunners. my book deals with exactly what you are talking about OP. it teaches psychology, understanding what your opponent is thinking, hand reading. i think i'll be positng a couple excerpts soon on the mid NL forum.