Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Internet/Cable in NYC

I'm moving to NYC and trying to figure out who I should go with for internet/cable. Good internet is really important to me b/c it will be shared amongst 3 people, and I am a very heavy user (a lot of torrent downloading/uploading).

I've had Time Warner up to now (in upstate NY) and it was a pretty crappy experience. Cable box and internet both crashed frequently and speeds weren't that great.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Internet/Cable in NYC

Did the same move from upstate recently to the Bronx.

Cable option there is IO Digital from Cablevision. Internet portion is reasonable, but the cable annoys me. I had digital cable from Time Warner pre-move, and my dual tuner Tivo could tune the cable feed from a line split off before the cable went into the box, so I could watch one analog cable channel (channels 1-99 or whatever) off the Tivo's tuner, and one off of the digital box's tuner.

The IO Digital cable does not seem to be able to be tuned on ANY channel by anything but their box, which makes the ol' dual tuner Tivo lame.

But anyhow, IO Digital from Cablevision was my only choice for non-satellite TV, and their Internet seems fine.

Verizon FiOS fiber-optic service is available in many parts of NYC, which gives like 15mbps metro ethernet service, which sounds really hot. Have a co-worker that loves it, and their phone/tv/internet package is <100/mo.

Good luck adjusting to NYC from upstate, depending on how upstate you were [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2007, 02:37 PM

time warner is your only option for cable in manhattan proper. it doesn't crash much, but its a rip, and the internet speeds are piss poor. upload is capped at 512k even though download is 6Mb. what does this mean to you, if you have vonage, or some other voip, it's barely going to work, if at all. i have vonage and the other party can never hear me even though i can hear them fine. latency is poor enough that xbox live is shoddy.

the cable boxes they do provide are constantly updated and thus reboot automatically. what does this mean to you. if you have a tivo, be prepared to miss alot of shows because you'll have to constantly turn your cable box on again and for the times you miss, well you know.

fios isn't available in manhattan. satellite is at the discretion of your landlord. dsl is there, speakeasy is no frills, i'm sure verizon is there, but i don't have any direct experience on any of these.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM

Time Warner is the only cable provider. I've found the experience depends on where you live (specifically, the building). I've lived in some buildings where I had a great connection, and others where the service people had to regularly come and replace lines somewhere between the building entrance and my apartment.

Also, their service office on 14th Street is only slightly better than the DMV.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Get RCN if you can. They provide 20mbs internet service and as a whole were really good. I hate time warner and I am stuck with them right now. www.rcn.com is the way to go.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:02 PM

Normal TWC speeds are 7Mbps down/512k up. Supposedly they also offer 10 Mbps down/768k up Premium service, but they don't list the pricing for that on their website. FWIW, I've had no problems using Skype with normal TWC service, but I might be on a low-traffic node (downtown).
Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
try their 23rd st office - there's a bunch of people, but it's pretty orderly.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
try their 23rd st office - there's a bunch of people, but it's pretty orderly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually meant 23rd street. I've never been in and out in less than 45 minutes. The only upside is a bunch of fast food restaurants next door and free Internet access if you're bored.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:51 PM

you can literally take a ticket at the 23rd street office, walk down the street, stand an hour in line for a shake shack burger, and still be waiting when you get back. it's that ass
Old 06-14-2007, 04:23 PM

you know what would be great, a forum where one could ask computer related question man that be sweet

Also maybe if they created a thing that I could "search" for stuff like this, that be cool too.

Anyone help me out here