Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 08:48 PM

Default 200nl - Really standard hand, but need help

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $93.20
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $201.55</font>
UTG: $447.30
MP: $471.25
CO: $199.40
BTN: $178.00

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 8 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $8.00</font>, 4 folds, Hero calls $6.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($17) 9 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $12.00</font>

Villain is TAG, 16/12/3 - 160 hands. Do you guys normally c/c or c/r here? Raising seems better since there's a lot of scare cards that could come and villain will probably fire again. Does is come down to position? Maybe IP I can just call the flop, but OOP raising is better? Comments, please.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Re: 200nl - Really standard hand, but need help

Betting into him is best IMO opinon. As long as you do it with strong hands aswell then its good deception. Alot of the times they will just fold since hes a nitty tag hes probably folding this alot, if not youll probably get raised in which you can fold.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting into him is best IMO opinon. As long as you do it with strong hands aswell then its good deception. Alot of the times they will just fold since hes a nitty tag hes probably folding this alot, if not youll probably get raised in which you can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never donk into people in a HU pot, mostly because whenever someone does it to me, I float/raise them 90% of the time. I always thought it was a garbage play, but lately I've been seeing it a lot from solid players. Are you guys having success with it against players like this?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:11 PM

If you float/raise that much when someone donks into you it makes sense to donk with good hands no?

In the actual hand I c/r to around 30.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I almost never donk into people in a HU pot, mostly because whenever someone does it to me, I float/raise them 90% of the time. I always thought it was a garbage play, but lately I've been seeing it a lot from solid players. Are you guys having success with it against players like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a good player has to have this in his arsenal. First of all it's a good way to counter people who CB a lot and second of all it gives you a nice way to control the pot when you have a marginal hand with some showdown value.

You obviously have to work it in and use it correctly against different style opponents. For example, against a weak tight player this is a good bluffing move since it costs less than a c/r. Against observant opponents you'll have to mix it up. I like to donkbet with anything from air to a set with different frequencies for different types of players. If you mix it up with the right frequency it will certainly make the typical TAG uncomfortable.

I &lt;3 THE DONKBET!!!!1

EDIT: If you're going to be calling raises with mid pocket pairs out of position in a short handed game then you can't limit your play to c/r or c/f imo. You can c/r atc in this same spot with virually the same expectaion.