Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 12:12 AM

Default 100PLO - Wait... what? (deep)

When's there going to be a working converter? Anyway, 240BB effective stacks, Villain is a bad LAG (66/44/3 over 1.4k), does weird stuff like min-raises any range of playable hands from any position (which is why PFR is so high). I guess it's worked enough to stack some people. Here's the gist of it:

Hero is in BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Villain min-raises to $2, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets $6, Villain raises to $22, Button folds, SB folds, Hero...?

I guess this is a long way of asking what to do when you get raised with underfull and no redraw when you're pretty deep. My problems are: A) I know exactly what he has B) He doesn't know what I have and will probably get stacks in with his hand.

Is it super-nitty to fold here? I know for 100% his hand is 4xxx, but I'm almost always about 50/50 against that hand, plus I'll never have an idea of when I'm not ahead anymore. Plus, I'm out of position, plus, I'm fairly deep.. is this a standard fold? I figured calling is awful, since it's not like there's going to be some blink moment when I figure he must have filled up, and I'm pretty sure if I repot here he'll shove thinking I also have 4xxx or 22xx.

Is Hero correct to fold this? I realize my analysis of this spot is 100% stack size based. If he was short or even had 100BB, I'd probably just stick it in. Also, preflop call is not standard but is standard against this opponent (plus I'm last to act).
Old 06-09-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: 100PLO - Wait... what? (deep)

Hero repots and calls all-in? I dunnow this hand is very read-dependent.

If you indeed 'knew exactly what he has' then repotting and calling all-in should be standard.

And you do have a redraw, but it's slim.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:24 AM

Ummm repot this. If he just calls, pot the turn, if he reraises you get your stack in.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:30 AM

For what it's worth, against 4xxx where each x is a live card, I'm 58/42. Are you guys really fans of getting 240BB in with that slim of an edge? I'd assume this is hand over 90% of the time.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:35 AM

Yes. Also the A is a very possible blocker. Jack is a possible blocker as well. 2 scoops you the pot and if a 4 falls (assuming if just calls a reraise) your hand turns to [censored]. I know its only a few, but it helps your cause.

Also i think its very possible that he flat calls the flop reraise instead of reshoving against your repot. This would give him one opporunity to outdraw you before you commit a large portion of your stacks. Run the numbers on the turn vs 4xxx. I'm sure your hand becomes a much larger favorite and you want to set yourself up to get your stack in there when you are as large a favorite as you can be. I hope that makes sense.

EDIT: Not to mention how much money is in the pot and you have already committed to it. Theres no way you can fold this imo.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:42 AM

Yeah, but what do I do on the turn? Just shove it in and pray? Check/fold? Check/call? Every turn line just seems to be crossing my fingers, which is why I was hesitant on the flop. I think if I had position with this hand, I would've bet the flop and called a c/r, then hope to check the pot down or keep it small. Being out of position just makes every line with this hand so marginal in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:49 AM

If you lead the flop and reraises you. He can pot the turn and river and make the pot huge anway. If he doesnt fill up on river he could check behind and you will miss value. But if he does fill up, you will be guessing and be forced to call it down like you said anyway. Basically, he'll be in total control to get value when he needs to and to slow down/check behind if he doesn't.

Potting the turn if he calls the flop raise if sorta like crossing your fingers, but you're in control. Now instead of putting the money in when you are assumed to be almost a coin flip (with two to come). You only give him one chance to catch up and if he doesnt you are getting a large bet on the turn as a larger favorite and will leave him less of his stack behind for implied odds if he chooses to chase you down to the river.

Think G-Bucks/Skalansky $s if it makes it easier.

http://www.bluffmagazine.com/onlinefeature/gbucks.asp
Old 06-09-2007, 01:30 AM

I'm really just a novice but is it possible to narrow down his range a bit more? You say he min raises playable hands so what kind of playable hands has a 4? There's gotta be a reasonable chance here that two of his other cards are paired which would increase your chances greatly. If he doesn't have a pair in his hand what else are we looking at? Something like 4-5-6-8 or a suited ace maybe? Sorry, I'm probably not too useful at this but just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, against 4xxx where each x is a live card, I'm 58/42. Are you guys really fans of getting 240BB in with that slim of an edge? I'd assume this is hand over 90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf?
Old 06-09-2007, 04:46 AM

i had a hand v similar to this on FT some time ago, 300bb, villan was a bad LAG, board came 995, i had 55 all the money went in and the LAG who had been running very lucky spiked a 9 on the turn

i have wondered since that hand if considering the stack sizes i should have played it slower. the random simulation i ran put me no better than 56/44, and in this spot villan can always have 44 and 42 leaving you drawing dead

i think after his repop on the flop i would bite the bullet and check/call him. this is a horrible way to play it but it will give you a clear insight into how he plays big hands against you.

if an Ace falls on the turn or river and he pots it i think i would pass. This isnt great advice but to be honest im not really good enough to be able to play this hand well, its just a horrible spot