Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 06:23 PM

Default How much is a \"free\" flight worth to you?

Southwest Airlines has a different frequent flyer program than most airlines. Instead of giving you credit for miles, you get credit for simply making a trip. If you make 16 one-way flights in a two year period, you earn a two free one-way tickets. However, credits you earn for a flight expire after two years.

In my case, I have earned 15 credits. Unfortunately, I lose 2 credits on June 28. I lose two more credits on July 20. So all I need to do is make one trip before June 28, and I earn a "free" flight. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget right now, so I can't be just spending money like it's nothing.

So is it worth it for me to spend $150 on a flight to nowhere, just so I can earn a flight? I honestly don't know. Since I've moved to California, the only places I've flown to are Phoenix, Vegas, LA, and San Diego. And I don't foresee myself taking any trips outside those 4 cities anytime soon. So in some ways, spending $150 is a pure waste of money. None of the round-trip flights to any of those cities are even $150 if I plan ahead. So all I'm really doing is spending money now instead of spending it later. I could make a mini-vacation out of it and spend a weekend in Vegas, but I really am trying to be better with money.

OTOH, I'm only one flight away from a free trip. And it seems wasteful for me to throw away 4 credits like that.

So how many of you would make a trip to nowhere just to earn a free flight?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: How much is a \"free\" flight worth to you?

Can you use this free flight to get a $800+ ticket to somewhere in Europe or something liek that or is it contiguous US only?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:39 PM

Do you actually have to go on the flight?

Could you not just book any relevant cheap flight to wherever and not actually go?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you use this free flight to get a $800+ ticket to somewhere in Europe or something liek that or is it contiguous US only?

[/ QUOTE ]

Southwest only flies domestic.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Could you not just book any relevant cheap flight to wherever and not actually go?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what I would suggest, someone posted about southwests super cheap fairs becuase of their anniversary or something, 1 way flight for 75$, just get a cheap ass ticket, and dont get on the plane, as long as your one way tickets are worth more than 75/whatever you get it for.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what I would suggest, someone posted about southwests super cheap fairs becuase of their anniversary or something, 1 way flight for 75$, just get a cheap ass ticket, and dont get on the plane, as long as your one way tickets are worth more than 75/whatever you get it for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never thought of that. I don't think you get credit until your boarding pass is scanned, but I'll check. If so, I don't know if the people at the gate will let you scan the boarding pass, then not board.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:00 PM

You should be able to find a roundtrip for under $100 to finish off your reward. I booked two trips during thir last sale for about $70 total.

Depending on the type of ticket you get as a reward from them, you could sell it for approximately $400 or so on eBay. Last time I checked anyways.

You could also get their branded credit card which gives you a few credits with your first purchase. Might check into that.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never thought of that. I don't think you get credit until your boarding pass is scanned, but I'll check. If so, I don't know if the people at the gate will let you scan the boarding pass, then not board.

[/ QUOTE ]

They definitely won't (shouldn't) for security reasons. If you check your bags, then don't get on, this is a concern for them. Someone doing this would basically be trying to get around this system. Just find somewhere really close and take it back and forth. I could fly back and forth between Dallas for $100+taxes.

You can also redeem 8 of your flights for a one-way (I think). Maybe you should do that, since they sell all their flights one way, and you can just buy a one-way back?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be able to find a roundtrip for under $100 to finish off your reward. I booked two trips during thir last sale for about $70 total.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found some flights for $39 each way and was planning to do that. Unfortunately, I acted too late. Those flights are now $60-$70 each way.

But knowing that I can sell the free flight for $400 makes it worth it to eat a $150 round trip ticket.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can also redeem 8 of your flights for a one-way (I think). Maybe you should do that, since they sell all their flights one way, and you can just buy a one-way back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally got a hold of a customer service agent (was on hold for 22 minutes). They said you can't redeem 8 credits for 1 one-way ticket. You can only redeem 16 credits for 2 one-way tickets.

I also found out that I actually have to get on the plane. I can't just buy a ticket.

But she did tell me that I can use 1500 American Express points to buy 1 Southwest credit. Since I have plenty of AMEX points, I'll be doing that. That's actually pretty cheap. The going rate on the AMEX site is 5000 points gets a $50 gift card. So I'll, in essence, be buying a credit for $15.