Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM

Default New to HU, playing against a super aggressive donk NLTRN

First post. Hopefully it isn't too terrible [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am pretty new to heads up, as I usually only play 6max and mtts.

Anyways, a friend and I have recently been playing some HU matches, stacks start at 1500 with 10/20 blinds going up every 8 hands.

Some thoughts on opponent:

He is super aggro, in the early stages he will almost never raise except for a minraise. In the middle stages he is raising probably 70% from position and about 50% from the bb if i limp.

Loves to donk the river if he doesn't hit and checkraises the river with a wide range.

Doesn't raise AA,KK,AK,QQ,JJ,AQ pre.

Almost never folds to a continuation bet and floats alot.

Makes a continuation bet 80% of the time, but if he flops the nuts he will usually check one or two streets before betting.

This is probably a pretty easy opp, but it can get really frustrating in later stages when the blinds start to matter.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: New to HU, playing against a super aggressive donk

Raise preflop with a wider range and try to outplay him postflop (if he folds too much against continuation bets, raise 4bb preflop).
Try to get him before he's able to put pressure on you with preflop actions. And take care for traps, also take care if he wakes up suddenly.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:38 PM

If he's raising 70% but always limping with JJ+ AK AQ pre then you should just punish him by coming over the top of his raises a lot: any pair, any ace, suited kings, two broadway cards.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 AM

He doesn't sound like a donk, based on your description, except for the "limping with huge hands" part, and possibly the min-raising. And if you were folding way too much for a HU match, which is common for players new to HU, those might've been good as well. Think about it: why raise more with a bluff, if a bluff min-raise is always profitable? And with a real hand, he'd have to constantly fear that you would fold.

I don't know exactly how you were playing, but it sounds like you were folding too much, which would make constant small bluff-bets correct.

When someone floats me a lot, the first things I do are a)c-bet air less often, if at all, and b)realize that when he calls my flop bet when I have 2nd pair or TP/weak kicker, I should virtually always bet again. Once you v-bet him a few times with weak hands, you can begin to open it up by bluffing more and 2nd barrelling more. You also should be calling more on the end, it seems.

Finally, raising 70% pre-flop with position isn't super-aggro; it's super-passive. 50% OOP when you limp is pretty aggro.