Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 08:51 AM

Default 3.40: JJ gets min-checkraised on paired board

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t2890)
UTG+1 (t1750)
MP1 (t1710)
Hero (t1400)
MP3 (t1460)
CO (t1890)
Button (t880)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1540)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t70</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls t50, MP1 calls t50.

Flop: (t220) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t180</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t360</font>, MP1 folds, Hero ???

No reads.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Re: 3.40: JJ gets min-checkraised on paired board

Raise a bit more preflop after the limper. I like t100.

As played, you're ahead of BB quite a lot. Push and profit.

(If he did call preflop with 6, add him to your buddy list)
Old 06-08-2007, 09:04 AM

Just to clarify Pre Flop raise. The standard is 3BB+1BB in the early levels. I was in error with my first post last night to your AK hand. At lower buyins you can maybe raise 4BB+1BB in the first level not to thin the field but for value, if they are going to call with garbadge at least get them them to make a bigger mistake.

I call this and proceed to try and get to showdown as cheap as possible. This re-raise could be a semi-bluff with 2 hearts, an overpair smaller then JJ's, 2x more often then it is 6x.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:05 AM

Doesn't look good to get involved any further here, but I'm curious for other views on this. I'm wondering if you can credit the BB for just making a play since you obviously don't have a six and would be scared by this move.

Does everyone consider raising JJ standard here? I would limp with these blinds. (sorry for giving more questions than answers, this hand is very interesting indeed)
Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does everyone consider raising JJ standard here? I would limp with these blinds. (sorry for giving more questions than answers, this hand is very interesting indeed)

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally like to mix it up here. Sometimes I might limp, sometimes I raise. If my position gets better (and there are not to many limpers in fron of me) I raise more, if i'm utg I limp more than I raise.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 PM

I don't see any reason to EVER limp JJ in a 3.40
Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any reason to EVER limp JJ in a 3.40

[/ QUOTE ]
Not even in EP/SB/BB where people in MP/LP love calling pf raises with Ax/Kx and an Ace or King flops roughly 35-40% of the time?

I feel JJ can get me in more trouble than it's worth to raise it up. When I limp at those times, if overcards or a super drawy flop come I can release the hand with little loss. If I hit a set, it's well concealed against other's who might hit their Aces/Kings. If there's a baby flop, then I'm relatively sure I have the best hand and can price out draws/overcards. Also, a lot of the most likely straights out there are drawing to crippled odds (78/89/9T) because I'm holding 2 Jacks, but they don't know that, so I can manipulate the pot odds so it seems good to call on drawable boards, but in reality their odds to call aren't even close.

Early on in SNGs, I think in MP/LP raising JJ is alright, but seems like spew if you're raising with it every time you get it.