Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Thin River Bets Are For Amateurs...

20/40 Live

Table is surprisingly loose/passive. Just an absolute heaven though there are 2-3 other TAGs sitting around too.

Hero's image is solid but aggressive. Just before this hand, I have shown a variety of plays, including the willingness to bet/fold the river, calling a river donk with AK on a rag board(and winning), and playing top pair aggressively by capping AJ on a Jxx flop multi-way.

BB is very loose-passive preflop. He won't raise all but his marquee hands and fears playing hands multiway. A little more reasonable post, though he can get tricky, but still generally payoffs.

Preflop:
UTG limps, +1 limps, several folds, Hero calls K9o OTB, Blinds call.

Flop: QJ4r
Checked to me, Hero bets, 1 fold, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: 7r
Checked to me, I check behind.

River: K
BB bets, UTG folds, Hero raises intending to fold.

Arguments for...
Raise/Fold PF?
Check flop?
Call river?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Thin River Bets Are For Amateurs...

hmm I love loose passive games. I'm just trying to figure out the merits of limping K9o. I'm having troubling finding any. I like raise and fold both more then call preflop.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:26 AM

I think this is pretty awful all-around.

PF: fold > call > raise

F: I hate the bet. You look like an idiot if you get check-raised here. Also, the odds (when it gets back to you) often semi-justify throwing good money after bad to chase your potential 7 out hand.

T: Check is best. However, since you bet the flop, a turn continuation might get someone off of AT (or the like). It's not worth to pay 1 BB for this...since the pot is only 4 BB.

R: Although a raise seems like good TAG play, what does it accomplish in this place? Will your opponent fold a better hand than yours here? If I assume he will never lay down 2 pair (which would be correct on his part), the raise is -EV since: 1) you are clearly beat if you get 3-bet, 2) you will lose the showdown if he calls (he doesn't have K8 here), and 3) would have won the showdown if he folds.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 AM

1.) I'm never surprised when a table is loose/passive.
2.) Pre-flop, I'd rather raise K9 than call, and I'd rather fold than raise.
3.) Flop is fine, I enjoy betting.
4.) On the river, BB either made a straight, made a King, or is betting a Q/J for value after you checked behind on the turn. The later is stupid since you could have checked behind a straight draw an probably wont payoff with a worse hand. He really shouldnt pay you off with less than a King. Its close, but I just call.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
20/40 Live
Hero's image is solid but aggressive.
Preflop:
UTG limps, +1 limps, several folds, Hero calls K9o OTB, Blinds call.

[/ QUOTE ]
huh?
Calling PF here seems pretty loose passive to me. Not solid-aggressive.

Otherwise you played it well. Raising w/ intention to fold seems like an OK line I guess. You'll get some loose calls from Qx/Jx and raised by anything better than K9.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:22 PM

I don't think pre-flop is as clear-cut as the responses so far indicate. OP describes a good, loose-passive game, I'm looking for excuses to play a hand on the button in these situations. To me, being able to see a cheap flop and having position on 4 loose-passive opponents make K9 worth a call. This is about the worst I would call w/though. As far as raising goes I can't see investing 2 bets with this, K10 or KJ I am raising.
I would play it the same on the flop and turn, but would just call the river (don't think a better hand is folding)
Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 PM

The preflop play is fine unless the UTG players have a tight limping range.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:54 PM

Preflop, flop, and turn are totally standard. River raise is somewhere between pretty bad and terrible.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:38 PM

Preflop, K9 is just a little too weak for me to call, but I don't think it's terrible. I call KTo OTB here, and K9s.

I don't like betting that flop; it's too likely to have hit someone in some way, and you're basically never winning right there. And if you DO fire, I think you gotta fire again on turn, since so many players in these games call a flop bet with ANYTHING but will fold turn.

I kinda liked the river at first, but does Qx really call you? If the player in question would call a river raise with Qx, then it's fine.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:09 PM

Loose passives don't value bet. They usually also don't fold any hand that beats you. Fold immediately unless he's on tilt, in which case it's a very thin call.