Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200 (TR!!)

Little known fact: yelling "[censored] the police!"... twice within earshot of police officers is not a smart thing to do.

Story starts off earlier in the night. I go out to a bar for happy hour that serves $1 tap home brews from 11am-9pm. I show up around 6:30pm and proceed to drink about 10 beers in the next couple of hours. I get back home around 11:30 (No, I didn't drive, we had a DD who came and picked us up) and my roommates want to go out and celebrate one of our friends getting into grad school. I agree and we head off to a bar.

The first bar we go to is closing in about 10 minutes so I drink another beer and we head off to the next bar. Right outside the bar I see a cop driving by and yell "[censored] THE POLICE!" The cop pulls a U-Turn, and I being a stupid belligerent drunk yell "[censored] THE POLICE!" again. The cop turns on his lights, and I kind of stroll into the bar. The cop starts yelling for me so I peacefully come back out.

My friends stand around for a bit, but then decide to go in and not stand around. After about 5 minutes, 3 more cops show up, and they start playing good cop, bad cop. I quickly realize what they are doing and not trying to further incriminate myself stop talking.

The first officer then comes back from his cruiser with a breathalyzer and asks me to blow into it. I politely refuse letting him know that I know my rights. He then asks me to step to the side and asks me to consent to a field sobriety test. I again refuse, at which point he takes me to the back of the cruiser and tells me to spread my legs and places me under arrest.

I'm not sure if this is grounds for dismissal, and I will be talking with a lawyer, but at no point did the cop tell me what I was being arrested for, or read me my Miranda rights.

He takes me to the station and is talking lots of [censored] with the other cops there, they search me again, he takes me to the magistrate at which point he lies a little bit and exaggerates the story. I don't contest since I know it won't get me anywhere, and I would rather wait to plead my case before a judge.

The sheriff's in the station then proceed to start cataloging my items, and my wallet. They spread my credit cards out on a table, and I politely ask them what they are doing with them. They do not answer me, so I then say "I'm just curious why my cards are all laid out, because I am pretty worried about identity theft."

I'm pretty sure they didn't appreciate that and started calling me "lawyer boy". They tell me to take my shoes and socks off, I do so, and the sheriff yells at me for shaking my sock out, then tells me to take my laces out. I comply.

I am then sent into the tank, where I share pleasant company with other drunks, a few wife beaters, and a couple hardened criminals waiting to be processed to serve a five year term.

I am told at booking that I will be released at 7am, so after 7 am I start getting antsy and try to get the attention of the new sheriff crew that has come on duty. I ask them when I am going to be released, they tell me they are waiting for the paperwork.

Another hour rolls around, I talk to another sheriff, they tell me the same [censored].

At this point I start getting annoyed and realize they are trying to [censored] with me, for obviously [censored] with them. I start asking how do I speak with the magistrate, one officer informs me "You don't.".

Eventually, right around 11 am, I get the attention of another sheriff and ask what is up, he goes and talks to the magistrate, and magically I am let out, about 4 hours later than I was supposed to be.

I plan to go before the judge and try to plead the charge down, since my BAC was never tested, I'm not sure how that will go, but its worth a shot.

Cliffnotes: I get drunk, yell [censored] the police, cop doesn't like it too much and arrests me. I spend 10 hours in jail and am now a hardened criminal.

I tried to smile, but I guess all I could let out was a cheesy little smirk.

Lessons learned: cops still suck, I am a smartass, I will no longer yell "[censored] the police" within earshot of police officers. Oh, and drinking alcohol is stupid.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200 (TR!!)

Umm, what were you charged with?

Edit: Some variant of Disorderly conduct I guess.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 PM

Damn sometimes I hate America.
Stuff like this pisses me off.
Sorry to hear about your rough night.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, what were you charged with?

Edit: Some variant of Disorderly conduct I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was charged with Drunk in Public.

The ticket is $94, but I don't really want a misdemeanor on my record so hopefully I can plead it down to something like disorderly conduct, or just dropped altogether.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:54 PM

Seriously, what's the crime? Drunk and disorderly?

What [censored].
Old 06-07-2007, 11:54 PM

they sure showed you that cops are compassionate members of society devoted to keeping the peace

now instead of screaming [censored] the police while drunk, you'll have a sober account for why the police should be [censored]
Old 06-07-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if this is grounds for dismissal, and I will be talking with a lawyer, but at no point did the cop tell me what I was being arrested for, or read me my Miranda rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patriot Act is a bitch.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was charged with Drunk in Public.

The ticket is $94, but I don't really want a misdemeanor on my record so hopefully I can plead it down to something like disorderly conduct, or just dropped altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a misdemeanor, wtf?

Oh also, yeah it'll get plead down... they aren't going to actually take you to court for this.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:06 AM

Well I have a court date, or I can pay the ticket in advance.

I plan to go to court.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:07 AM

Miranda rights don't really matter unless they were questioning you.

Since they didn't do field sobriety or breathalyzer, I'm pretty confident you can get this taken care of lowered to the point where it would never come back to bite you.