Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Stud High was i right to slow down here?

Was I right to slow down here? Yes I realize that playing this hand on 3rd is on the questionable side, but let's not get into that. 5th I was hoping that a raise would thin the field a little. No luck there. On sixth I was pretty sure that I had the best hand untill seat 6 checkraises me. I thought about re-raising to try and thin the field but seeing how well that worked on 5th, I decided to just call down.

I had not been in the game very long, and had no idea what to put seat 6 on. I was thinking either Queens up or a hidden set. Comments please.

7 Card Stud High ($0.10/$0.20), Ante $0.02, Bring-In $0.05 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.90 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.95 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (11.95 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (21.95 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (24.95 BB)
Old 06-08-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Stud High was i right to slow down here?

So why are you trying to get advice on a hand you know you shouldn't be playing in the first place? Fold 3rd end of discussion.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:58 AM

6th must be 3bet. not to "thin the field", but to win 1 more bet off each fish.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:02 AM

Third is probably a fold, but it's five cents for crying out loud. I've made looser calls for more money. You played fourth very well. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Definitely raise fifth. Failing to three-bet sixth is in crime-against-humanity territory. The raiser must specifically have pocket Nines to have you beaten, and one showed on third in addition to the one he has on his board. You have the best hand. They're calling. Get your money in there. Since you didn't, raise the river.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 AM

On 3rd you should have either raised or folded in this spot IMO.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 AM

I call this for the bring in everytime on third. On sixth you must reraise -- as Andy noted, if he has pocket 9s, then nh sir.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Like the others have said, reraise 6s. Your hand is well hidden, and villian has no idea you are so strong. If he had trip 9's, he probably would have reraised you on 5s, so I'm pretty confident you're good here.

Don't let the fact that a 6s reraise won't "thin the field" be a concern - that concept really only applies to vulnerable hands that get a very large equity boost when played heads-up. Trips aren't that type of hand - they (usually) welcome extra customers. Your main strategic concern is to get as much money in the pot as possible.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising 3s w/ the 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] + Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] already in can't be correct. Calling a single bring-in in a loose passive low stakes game with a live pair is sometimes OK (being wired like here helps), so long as the player can let go quickly if he doesn't improve on 4s. For myself, I usually prefer to have a straight-flush or suited overcard kicker. In this situation I probably fold.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising 3s w/ the 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] + Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] already in can't be correct. Calling a single bring-in in a loose passive low stakes game with a live pair is sometimes OK (being wired like here helps), so long as the player can let go quickly if he doesn't improve on 4s. For myself, I usually prefer to have a straight-flush or suited overcard kicker. In this situation I probably fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fold is probably best. I said raise because you have a wired pair & some your opponents outs are dead, so represent a bigger pair than you have. Maybe try to win it on 3rd. When you catch trips, they'll never see it coming. But, if things don't pan out, you have to dump the 8's.

But...this is pocket change limits so, call, fold, or do whatever you want because nobody's going to fold to your raise anyway.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 PM

I don't mind the limp behind on 3rd. The implied odds of catching a live 8 make it limpable, in my opinion.

I'm not afraid of anything that seat 6 is trying to represent on 6th - I want as much money going into the pot as possible from 5th on.