Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 PM

Default 2007 Gold Cup Thread

Yeah, I'm that guy flipping away from the NBA game to watch some soccer. Since this is the first post, might as well acquaint you with everything:

GROUP A
COSTA RICA
CANADA
HAITI
GUADELOUPE

GROUP B
USA
GUATEMALA
EL SALVADOR
TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

GROUP C
MEXICO
PANAMA
HONDURAS
CUBA

It starts as out like normal group play and top 2 from each group move on to the quarters, as well as the best 2 3rd place teams. After that it's standard tourney format with single elimination.

Right now the US is beating Guatemala 1-0 in their first match. US has had a bunch of good chances that they just missed on, but their defense has given up 2 strong chances and then been able to cover its ass before forcing Howard to make a save.

Also, Donovan is playing forward over Johnson and I'm upset. Although he has been playing better.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: 2007 Gold Cup Thread

Was a goal called off? I'm not watching it but ESPN had it 2-0 for awhile . . . around the 27th minute.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:41 PM

Word. Thougt this started Saturday. Got game on now.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was a goal called off? I'm not watching it but ESPN had it 2-0 for awhile . . . around the 27th minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, US missed quite a few chances in the 1st half. Guatemala has dominated so far in the 2nd. Still US up 1-0 now down a man.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, US missed quite a few chances in the 1st half. Guatemala has dominated so far in the 2nd. Still US up 1-0 now down a man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Oguchi Onyewu will be gone for Saturday's match. What a shame . . . were both yellows valid? I'm going to try and download this match tonight . . .
Old 06-07-2007, 11:08 PM

reo,

They could've been if the ref called them on everyone, but I don't feel like he was. I think that Ruiz's flopping got on the US players' nerves, and then the ref seemed a little inconsistent, and that really got in their heads. Of course, none of that would've been an issue if they had just scored a second goal on one of their many chanes.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They could've been if the ref called them on everyone, but I don't feel like he was. I think that Ruiz's flopping got on the US players' nerves, and then the ref seemed a little inconsistent, and that really got in their heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Referee: Jose (HON)

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, none of that would've been an issue if they had just scored a second goal on one of their many chanes.

[/ QUOTE ]

19 shots (11 on goal)

You seem to be definitely on point. I can't believe we couldn't finish more of those. I'd like to see us blow a few of these teams out the water. At least we won . . .

I'm awaiting the upload of this game . . .
Old 06-07-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Oguchi Onyewu will be gone for Saturday's match. What a shame . . . were both yellows valid? I'm going to try and download this match tonight . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the first one, but the second one was one of those fouls where if the player didn't already have a yellow, the ref would probably give him one, but if he already had a yellow, the ref would probably give him his "last warning". They played a ball towards the corner, the US defender was going to get to it first, but Gooch came across and cut off/knocked down the Guatemalan player.

Shortly before that play, Beasley had taken a ball down the wing, split through two defenders, and got tripped from behind - no yellow. So the reffing was pretty inconsistent.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Canada beating Costa Rica was an upset. Oh Canada you are so bad. Though the forward that scored both goals looked brilliant
Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 AM

I [censored] hate GUATEMALA