Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 12:06 AM

Default I need to vent...or quit playing poker. (long whine)

hi...I'm new to BBV. g'head and comment, make fun, whatever...it really doesnt matter. see, that's exactly where I am w/poker right now. I study, I read and re-read the "right" books, I try to be active here at 2+2. I've just started on my first real endeavor into online poker, playing limit hold'em. I made the recommended 300bb deposit, I picked Party cuz it's sooo full of fish who supposedly want to give their money away.

I do my absolute best to play solid poker, use pot sizes and odds to help me decide which is the most appropriate play. I do everything I can not to tilt, as I accept that I will be drawn out on, I accept that terrible players will take my money. that's all fine w/me. I'm supposed to be thinking about the long run, dont be results oriented. ok, I can do that. I'm aware that I will sometimes raise PF, and not hit my cards and have to fold. I dont multi-table, because I have to be able to fully concentrate on what I'm doing. but it just doesnt matter.

I'm now at day 4 of my online poker experience, and am down 100 BB's. I just left the best table I've ever seen, where 4 players had vp$ip's over 70, and 2 more were in the 50's. I sat at that table for 2 hours before the fishies swam elsewhere. I played 2 hands. that's 1 hand/hour. some of it is surely my fault, I'm new and do stupid things sometimes. but the fact that I got so many playable hands that I voluntarily put money into the pot twice sure didnt help. see, my 100 BB slide had been helped immensely by not getting playable hands - I've lost 115 BB's in the blinds already. I cant call EP or MP raises with J2o, can I? the hand I've been dealt the most so far is 94o. 46 times I've had this POS, in 1988 hands total. wtf am I supposed to do with 94o?

then there are the beats. nobody wants to hear anyone else's bad beat stories, so if I were anyone reading this bitchfest, I'd probably stop now. for the sake of those who will keep reading, I'll only post one of them. this one almost got me to seriously consider quitting:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds.

Turn: (7.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+1 has Kd 6c (full house, sixes full of kings).
Hero has Ah As (two pair, aces and sixes).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 13.25 BB. </font>

so, I will continue to do my best. I will read, I will study, I will participate on 2+2, I will review my sessions on PT. I will continue to set an environment where I can concentrate on poker by listening to classical music on my digital cable radio thingy, not listen to things on TV or radio that I really care about that will distract me. I will play only when my g/f is at work or otherwise occupied so my full attention may be devoted to poker. I will continue to do my best to remain calm, and persist in doing my best to play solid poker. I have already dropped down in limits so I can ride this out without killing my bankroll. but, in the end, will it really matter...
Old 02-21-2006, 12:31 AM

Default Re: I need to vent...or quit playing poker. (long whine)

way too long, too much whining.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant call EP or MP raises with J2o, can I?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can if you switch to 6max.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nobody wants to hear anyone else's bad beat stories

[/ QUOTE ]

I do! This is my favorite forum! I take great pleasure in the bad beats that are inflicted upon others. Your bad beat was not a very good one though. I like to read about really terrible beats or ones for very large sums of money.

Anyway, suck it up. Poker is not that fun some of the time. Better get used to it!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:50 AM

Did you say you played 2 hands in 2 hours with a table full of fish??

HMMM.. THats problem 1..

You say you arent results oriented but you say that 1 hands almost got you to quit??

thats problem 2.

I think you definitely arent cut out for this gig and you should save your money.

I lose to probly 200 1-or 2 outers a WEEK. Get used to it or go pick up some applications
Old 02-21-2006, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I lose to probly 200 1-or 2 outers a WEEK. Get used to it or go pick up some applications

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe this but I'm too tired to do any math.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:54 AM

Darth,

Poker sucks a lot of the time, period. You will have many long periods of dry spells. It sounds like you're on the right track and that you should be coming out ahead in the games that you're playing. I can't stress enough, however, that this doesn't mean that you will come out ahead over 10, 20, even 50 thousand hands...especially with regards to online play (which is tougher). The good news is that the speed of online play will let you get through it more quickly.

It is definately correct to drop in limits at this time and I commend you for it. You may need to take a "study break" and not actually play the game...lest u start letting the losing streak change your play in a negative fashion.

Lastly...remember that the great runs are few and far between and losing streaks "seem" to last forever. Between those are the long and boring doldrums. Welcome to poker!
Old 02-21-2006, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe this but I'm too tired to do any math.

[/ QUOTE ]

6-8 tables 8 0r so hours a day.. Feel free, its actually pretty conservative
Old 02-21-2006, 02:10 AM

7-tabling for 56 hours a week is pretty sick. Congrats on that.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm... All your advice goes down the drain after saying something like this.