Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 02:22 AM

Default 50NL: All I beat is a bluff

Villain is a thinking LAG and probably a decent winner at these stakes. I have him running at 29/21 over 750 hands. He is playing back at me a lot, and I've mostly been making correct reads and frustrating him so far. Caught a couple of bluffs, but none on this size of pot. I'm pretty sure he's got a narrow range on this river, a lot of which is complete air. Villain's main weakness is that he floats/calls too much. Should I call this?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $44.80
BB: $50.00
UTG: $58.00
MP: $49.25
<font color="black">Hero (CO): $154.05</font>
BTN: $59.60

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, BTN calls $2.00, SB folds, BB calls $1.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($6.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.50</font>, BTN calls $4.50, BB folds

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($15.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $10.00</font>, BTN calls $10.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($35.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $19.50</font>

On flop it's a standard c-bet. On turn I have his range narrowed down to a flushdraw or a weak overpair that probably folds to the double barrel. On the river, hes never betting that weak overpair, so I think his range is almost 100% combo draw, some of which got there (gutshot+FD, queen+FD) and some of which didn't. Given our history I'm not certain what frequency he bets air here.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: 50NL: All I beat is a bluff

Yeah flop and turn are fine.

Turn is debatable, but against an aggressive player I actually see the purpose of the bet. I like to call it "betting for control" where you aren't actually betting purely for value or FE. I'll make a more detailed post about this later.

It's obviously correct that you only beat a bluff on the river here. Something like busted clubs is definitley in his range too. However:

1. A decent part of villains range could be value betting. If he's tricky he could have an overpair. A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or other combination of a queen and clubs are also definitley possible. Or he could of course have a set. I think the majority of his range definitley has you bet here.

2. You have snapped off his bluffs before. Villain might view you as some kind of station. Thinking players don't bluff stations unless they are on tilt.

Makes it an easy fold IMO.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah flop and turn are fine.

Turn is debatable, but against an aggressive player I actually see the purpose of the bet. I like to call it "betting for control" where you aren't actually betting purely for value or FE. I'll make a more detailed post about this later.

It's obviously correct that you only beat a bluff on the river here. Something like busted clubs is definitley in his range too. However:

1. A decent part of villains range could be value betting. If he's tricky he could have an overpair. A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or other combination of a queen and clubs are also definitley possible. Or he could of course have a set. I think the majority of his range definitley has you bet here.

2. You have snapped off his bluffs before. Villain might view you as some kind of station. Thinking players don't bluff stations unless they are on tilt.

Makes it an easy fold IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
He knows I'm not a station, and understands why I called every single time I did. Hes a 2+2 lurker and I think he respects my game from his comments "I like playing against thinking players, it's more fun" etc. He may be on mini-tilt against me since I've been identifying his bluffs so well, but who knows if this means he will get stubborn and keep trying til he succeeds, or if it means he gives up. He certainly hasn't stopped playing back at me.

I like your classification of my turn bet. Similar to a block but with more cards to come.

A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] would be 3bet pre, but Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is within his range here, especially since he knows his line is a little weird he might think he can get value from a midpair by betting river, since it looks a lot like a bluff.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:52 AM

Is he calling a raise with a 4 preflop, except 44? That is a lot looser than 29/21 IMO. Preflop/Flop/Turn all standard in my book. With you having the long history against the player I think whatever you decide is better than any advice I can give. Certainly looks like nada to me.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:37 AM

i muck the river because if he's good, he knows what it looks like