Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Default My wedge setup

Wedges are an extremely important part of my game. Driving is easily my best area of golf, so I have a wedge into basically any par 4 under 440. This means that any birdie production that does not come from par 5's is solely dependent on how well I am hitting my wedges (my putting has been weak for years, but I think I just made a breakthrough).

My current wedge arsenal;

PW-- Mizuno MP33 covers from 120-140
GW-- Cleveland reg. 588 copper covers from 105-120
SW-- Titleist Spin Milled 56-10 (2yrs old) anything from 70-105
LW-- Titleist Spin Milled 60-04 anything from 40-85

For the record, I play ProV1x.

My dilemma is two-fold. First, I intend on replacing my gap wedge. I don't like it all that much, and I really just don't hit it as close as my trusty SW and LW. Moreover, the club is so old and the grooves so worn, that you can't even clean the grooves because the dirt is permanently caked in there.

I like the feel and look of Titleist Vokey's, so I'm thinking I'm going to buy a 50 degree. I hadn't really intended on shopping around a lot, but if anyone has any suggestions about other wedges to look at, I'm open to the idea.

The other question I have is spin related. Currently, my Spin milled LW is brand new, and my SW is 2.5 years old. Thus, when I hit a full shot with my SW, it backs up 5 feet, and when I hit the same shot with my LW, it backs up 30 feet. The nature of spin is such that sometimes you want it, and sometimes you don't. I have been toying with the idea of replacing my somewhat worn-out SW, but I really like the versatility that having one high spin wedge and one mid-spin wedge gives me. Is this crazy or is this actually a good idea?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: My wedge setup

Sounds like a good idea if you spin one a ton, and the other just a little to just keep it as is.

Odd that you can hit your PW up to 140 yards, but your LW only goes up to 85 yards. I'm not saying you're lying by any means, but you might want to have the lofts checked just to make sure they are what the loft shows.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:14 AM

my LW flies 92 and backs up 20 feet.

PW can go 140 if I punch it and flush it. I really don't like to take 100% swings on wedges, so I rarely hit it that far.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:09 AM

Not so sure about he spin/non-spin wedge, but if you are replacing 1 wedge, you may want to check the loft, my guess is your PW is 46-49 loft and your cleveland Gap is 53(the Diadic, right?). You should try as many wedges as you can, weight is an important factor, and very individualistic too. I have a Vokey 48 that is my pitching wedge, I took out my 735 pw, I like the feel of the vokey better(I still havent worn in the grooves yet and its a year old). You are going to find most wedges in every even number from 48-60, and you can always get it bent one degree if needed.

tobdog
Old 06-07-2007, 05:09 AM

I would buy a spin milled 52*. It doesn't make sense to buy a 50* if your other gaps are 4*. I love the idea of having a spinner and then another wedge that just hits and stop basically. The LW sounds perfect for those pins just over the bunkers, throw it 20 feet past the hole and rip it back. That takes all the danger out if you have that shot in your bag(not many ppl do).
Old 06-07-2007, 10:08 AM

54 is the lowest loft spin milled they make.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM

What's your average drive? Longest?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:10 PM

Driver swing speed is about 113-115. My drive distance depends on the ball flight. If I play a sweeping draw or a soft draw... 290-310. If I play a strong or power fade, then 270-290.

I knew that Titleist didn't make a 50 degree spin milled, so I was intending on just buying the regular version. Then I figured out Cleveland makes a spin milled equivalent in the CG12 series (they actually make a 46 too which I'm considering buying to replace my PW).

So I bought a 50 degree Cleveland CG12 with zipper groove technology or whatever. It reacts the exact same as a spin milled, but the weighting of the head feels a lot better.

After playing today, I think this set up will work very well.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 AM

You can have the loft angles changed by a degree or two if you want. I have 4 wedges too, but not that great of control over them.

Mizuno PW 49*
Cleveland RTG GW 51*
Cleveland SW 56*
Cleveland LW 60*
Old 06-08-2007, 12:02 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Cleveland CG10