Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 PM

Default $5.50 - AKo against LAG opponent

Villian limps and then reraises to a little over 3x MP3's raise. Villian had played most pots and had made several big raises/reraises earlier that went uncontested, so my read was that villian was pretty LAG and that my AKo was at worst a coin flip and I might even have him dominated. How bad is my line here?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1470)
UTG+1 (t2880)
MP1 (t1650)
MP2 (t1250)
MP3 (t830)
CO (t1325)
Hero (t1125)
SB (t1690)
BB (t1280)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP3 raises to t90</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, Hero calls t90, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises to t300</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1125 (All-in)</font>, MP1 calls t825

Flop: (t2505) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

Turn: (t2505) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t2505) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Re: $5.50 - AKo against LAG opponent

with your read this is fine

next time don't show the board cards as they are irrelevant
Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM

yeah potentially looks like a squeeze tho I don't know how he's gonna do that from MP after limping... I think we should give him some sort of credit for at least a pair or AK, maybe AQ? in which case you're ahead of only 1 hand? it might seem kinda tight but i don't see most villains doing this without at least a pair. you said he's a LAG, but you didn't say he's a maniac.. I probably fold - I dont like flipping for the tourney in level 2, especially since even if we win we're far from guaranteed itm.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Based on you read I get them in here. The only real concern is that MP3 might have a hand but oh well. You are going to see a lot of pocket pairs but you will also see all sorts of Ace hands and could also see KQ or KJs.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 PM

if hes crazy this is fine.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on you read I get them in here. The only real concern is that MP3 might have a hand but oh well. You are going to see a lot of pocket pairs but you will also see all sorts of Ace hands and could also see KQ or KJs.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP3 had already folded to MP1's re-raise, so it was just me and MP1. Based on my read, I thought MP1 was light and might fold to my push or I'd be a coin flip at worst.

What about the decision to just call MP3's initial raise from the button? My thought was it is still early, I only have AK, and I want to see a flop. With my posiion, I wanted to keep the pot smallish pre-flop. But after MP1's reraise and MP3's fold, I pushed but immediately wondered if it was too early to gamble.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:59 PM

the origional PF call is fine.

also, you say 'at worst flipping' but AA and KK and still in his range. Its still a shove, but dont think that the WORST possible scenario is a flip
Old 06-07-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if hes crazy this is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like he'd need to be nearly certifiable to raise a raiser and a caller.

When a LAG limps early, aren't they often holding monsters?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:20 AM

I think you see a lot of dumb small pairs here at this level.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, you say 'at worst flipping' but AA and KK and still in his range. Its still a shove, but dont think that the WORST possible scenario is a flip

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When a LAG limps early, aren't they often holding monsters?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you see a lot of dumb small pairs here at this level.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you guys put MP1 on here? Based on what I'd seen so far and my general perception of play at this level, I was thinking his range was somewhere like 99+, almost any Ace like A7+ or maybe even worse, and KJ+ maybe even QJ+. Really his pre-flop limp could be ATC but the re-raise left me generally thinking that he's probably got a pocket pair, maybe an Ace that looks pretty, or two face cards and he's looking to gamble. Obviously AA has us crushed, KK has us in very bad shape, and the rest of his range is a coin flip or best case we have him dominated. So on further reflection here, that's what got me thinking that it might be too early to gamble here and I should wait for a better spot.

But it is clearly a push or fold, no way I can just call villian's re-raise, right? After calling the 90 raise, I have t1035 left and it costs me 210 more to just call the re-raise.