Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Default value betting the river

I'm not sure if I am missing too many bets on the river. If it's checked to me I often get scared of a raise and also check,unless I have a monster or my opponent is a pow, then I'm more inclined to bet. But especially if the river completes a flush or a straight I will check. However, it seems every time I check behind I have the winner and was wondering if I am missing some potential value bets.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: value betting the river

PQ, one thing to consider. "Most" playahs will bet the river with a killer hand, or air. If the hand is OK and has some showdown value, "most" players will check.

Soooooo, if you have played the hand strongly IP and had a follower, villain will likely NOT put you on air when you river bet. If you played weakly, but then put out a river bet, you will get looked up more often.

Review the method you took to the river and make a play according to how to maximize value when you are ahead. Sometimes the check behind on the turn is a great move to get money in assuming villain has an average to fair hand. He may not call the turn bet, but will call a larger than average river if he thinks you are trying to buy the pot.

When you have position, there are several things to do to maximize profit.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Ask yourself 3 questions when you get to the river.

1. If I bet what worse hands will call?
2. If I bet, what better hands will fold?
3. How likely is my opponent to bluff-raise if I bet? (this one is much less important in limt than in NL)

The answers to these questions will determine what you do. How you determine these answers, well, that's one of the real skills of playing the game.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask yourself 3 questions when you get to the river.

1. If I bet what worse hands will call?
2. If I bet, what better hands will fold?
3. How likely is my opponent to bluff-raise if I bet? (this one is much less important in limt than in NL)

The answers to these questions will determine what you do. How you determine these answers, well, that's one of the real skills of playing the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. Plus:
Most often if you would call a river bet it is better to bet yourself. Unless you beleive your check would induce a bluff. You mentioned being scared of a raise on the river, at lower stakes where I assume you play, a c/r river bluff isnt very common. If you get raised you can fold and you just lost the bet you would have called had your opponent bet.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most often if you would call a river bet it is better to bet yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Repeated for emphasis.

That being said, if you're not sure whether you would call because you have a mediocre hand, it is best to check. This can be a bit tricky if you're out of position, because then it is showing weakness. In position, though, you should always check with a mediocre hand unless you think you can get the opponent to fold a better hand.