Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Default 2 recent 5/10 NL hands

Two recent 5/10 NL hands from B & M session last weekend. I will do my best to remember details and recap. The table has been unusually tight all night with the exception of one younger kid who likes to bet a lot and make small raises with a wide range of hands especially in position.

Hand #1): two EP limpers including young kid. I check from BB with K10 off. Flop comes 10 3 6, with two clubs. I check, young kids bets, other limper calls and I raise. Young kids calls and other limper folds. I know I have the best hand here and put him on a flush draw at best. Turn card is Kc. I bet $200 and he puts me all in for about $850. He has me well covered with about 2k. I can't put him on anything else but a flush here, and I cant beat much but a bluff. I announce what I have and muck. He shows 7s8c.

I feel like I made the right fold here and that he made a good bet. I haven't played a lot with this particular player so I didn't fully know what he was capable of. He made a good bet because he was pretty sure I didn't have a flush.

If a similar situation like this with him comes up again I might not hesitate to call him down if I have a hand to show I can't be bluffed.

Was it a good fold? Thoughts?

Hand #2):

Folded to me in the cutoff. I decide to get creative and raise to $35 with 7c8s. SB and BB both call. Flop comes 56J, with two clubs. Checked to me and I bet $75. SB fold and BB c-raises me to $300 total. I have observed similar check raises from this guy before when he thinks someone might make a c-bet as he observed that I did. I decide to gamble one time and call. Turn brings a 7d. He bets $300 again, and I quickly call. The river brings another 7 and he fires $500. I don't really like this card because it means I might have to pay him off if he flopped a set. I figure he could also easily have something like AJ, QQ, or even KK. I call, and rake the pot. He mumbles something about having me on the flop. Well obviously, or maybe he was bluffing, but I decided to gamble and it paid off. If there was more action on the table I wouldn't have gambled the way I did, but it ended up being a key hand, and I ended up getting a lot more implied odds then I realized on the flop.

I didn't play this hand the way I normally would, but I decided to gamble. Sometimes, I feel you have to do that once in a while. Or maybe that is just my style. Did I overgamble on this hand and just get lucky? Did I read his range of hands correctly? Thoughts?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: 2 recent 5/10 NL hands

wow
Old 06-06-2007, 02:12 PM

Something tells me you won't be around long
Old 06-06-2007, 02:17 PM

1) betting then folding the turn is really bad. if you are that scared out of position, just calling down. I would not bet fold here ever.

2) i dont even know what this hand means. betting from the CO with 78 isnt creative, its a steal. It sounds like you are a very straightforward player (which the young kid in hand 1 obviously picked up on...meaning you wouldn't check raise a draw) once you have that hand on that board, i hate the flop, turn, and river play. on the flop i probably move him in to get him off like 99 type hands and gamble against Kx hands. With our image, this would fold out ALOT of hands. Just shove here to be "creative". On the turn, I would either shove or fold. If you think he is ahead of you but not really strong, i shove as you have a lot of outs against a lot of higher 1 pair hands. If you think he will not pay off if you hit straight, then this is an easy fold or shove, almost never a call. on the river i dont mind a call come to think of it. typical live play, if its been tighter in this game, will fold out a lot of the value you are getting. I dont mind a call, but a shove mixed in will do wonders for your unpredictability factor, which right now you seem to have none.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:17 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...oard=microplnl
Old 06-06-2007, 03:12 PM

I feel like you're playing scared.

Hand 1 is rather difficult, I think. I also don't like the turn bet-fold line and am frankly rather unenthusiastic about the flop CR, although that's surely not all that bad. If you (in this case mistakenly) think he has a flush more often than not, I don't mind check-folding it. But I'd NEVER EVER show a strong hand like that on folding.

Hand 2: "I have observed similar check-raises from the guy before..." That's already a good argument for a 3-bet with a decent draw such as the one you have. I think it makes the river call painfully easy as played. His turn and river bets are also pretty passive. I think you're ahead here 90% of the time.

As to the raise, I personally stick with SCs, but if you're playing fairly deep, I think it's critical to throw in a fair number of raises with speculative hands that can hit big (SCs, middle pairs).

Based on these hands, I really feel like you aren't comfortable playing in this game for whatever reasons. I'd consider playing down for a while unless you have reason to believe that you'll get to some kind of comfort level pretty soon.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 PM

Hand 1: I hate the flop check raise here. If you're called the hand plays very poorly. Leading should be your standard flop line.

Hand 2: steaming?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 PM

One of the reasons I folded in hand #1 was that I have called off all my chips in a situation like far too many times and lost. I jokingly told the table "if I would have called he would have had the flush!" Because sometimes it just seems like you are always on the wrong side of the coin. As it turned out I ended with a winning session. I felt that MOST of the time if I make that call I would be wrong. You can be right every time and this time was the one time the guy was bluffing. A bluff is always a small consideration but not a huge one on average. I felt like in the long run the fold is correct, but I am definitly not afraid to call off all my chips if I think I am correct. I have done it with lessor hands and for ALOT more money. I am comfortable with the game, I just didnt feel comfortable calling off all my chips. That is always a much more devastating thing for me than simply getting unlucky and loosing that way. As a result, if I called and was wrong I also know the effects of that. I would be prone to go on tilt and get away from my winning game.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 PM

I realize not leading out in hand 1 changed the whole dynamic of the hand. Even if I lead out and he calls he has a much harder time bluffing me on the turn.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 PM

where is this game you are playing at and do they offer higher stakes than 5/10?