Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Head\'s Up Preflop In a RING GAME?

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1.00/$2.00
2 players

Stack sizes:
HERO: $400
BB: $400

Pre-flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

If the BB plays aprox. with only the hands in the top 60% range, and only raises with say the top 10% Say hands--regardless of his position. . .My question is do I fold or at least call.

Obviously this is the worst hand you can have head's up, and i know the correct strategy at the end of a tournament(according to HOH2)

When the stacks are deep in a cash game what's the right play? Do the pot odds matter at all HU with deep stacks?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Head\'s Up Preflop In a RING GAME?

What is his range for calling raises with pos? If he's only raising 10% is he tighter than that in calling? If so, I'm raising a huge number of hands, maybe even this one.

A player who doesn't raise more than 10% of hands HU is easily exploitable. Especially if he won't raise lesser hands when you limp in.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:07 AM

Are you playing HU, or has it folded around to you in SB?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:00 AM

Fold it.

Lucky
Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 AM

This is strictly a head's up question, but if everyone folded around to us the same logic would apply.

Thank's Lucky I really appreciate your advice, you've already helped me patch up some leaks in my game with your SS "common sense" approach.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is strictly a head's up question, but if everyone folded around to us the same logic would apply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its just a bad hand not worthy of completing the SB HU (or otherwise). Best case scenario is that you flop 2-pair, trips, or a str8. This isn't going to happen enough for to 32o playable under most circumstances. The only possible exception I could see making is the the instance where the BB is very weak post flop. Here you might be able to make some money by completing and stealing the pot on the flop, or raising and stealing the blinds or the pot on the flop.

Lucky
Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the same logic doesn't necessarily apply. Heads up he should be less afraid of any raise you make, and he should defend his blind more liberally than most full ring players will. Granted 60% flops seen would be very high for full ring, but the 10% raise is very low for heads up. He should be easy to exploit unless he plays well post flop or has found weaknesses of yours to exploit.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its just a bad hand not worthy of completing the SB HU (or otherwise)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that it is a crappy hand and not really worth completing on hand strength alone. However, since villain's raise % is so low, he may also have low cc% which *may* justify a raise here occasionally.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its just a bad hand not worthy of completing the SB HU (or otherwise)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that it is a crappy hand and not really worth completing on hand strength alone. However, since villain's raise % is so low, he may also have low cc% which *may* justify a raise here occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for in HU you are playing a hand every 30 second or so. Since you can't steal every pot (unless your opponent is an idiot), you might as well save your steal attempts for when you have something better than 32o. I would rather play 72o than 32o HU because at least with 72o you can make a pair of 7s. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lucky
Old 06-07-2007, 11:34 AM

Okay so say you're playing NLHE with 21 other people at your table. Everyone folds around to you in the small blind.(however rare this is) You complete. You are now head's up with the big blind. You have the effective buton(absolute position) what's the difference between that and just plain old playing head's up besides you not having a white disk in front of you?