Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Couple hands, did I miss a good resteal opportunity?

So yesterday I played in the Stars $750 guaranteed and ended up finishing 20th which was pretty amazing given the cards I got the last couple hours. They were horrid but luckily until my last hand I did not have to go to a showdown from about 150 players left and on, just lived off some blind steals and never got looked up. Anyways, I think I played well but there were two hands that I kind of regretted and these happened consecutively.

To set it up, I think there were either 31 or 32 left with a pay increase at 30 so its a bubble of some sorts, I'm sittin around 24th or something. No reads on villian as I'd been moving tables a bit, all I know is that he hasn't been out of line yet.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20000 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP1 (t610401)
MP2 (t287770)
CO (t381147)
Button (t330808)
Hero (t230102)
BB (t209276)
UTG (t320016)
UTG+1 (t16544)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t50000</font>, <font color="#666666">

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20000 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+1 (t609401)
MP1 (t286770)
MP2 (t418147)
CO (t329808)
Hero (t219102)
SB (t188276)
BB (t319016)
UTG (t15544)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t50000</font>

So my thinking at the time was: it's a pay bubble (notice the supershort stack that UTG+1 and then UTG in hand two) and I would be raising with almost anything if I was villian. The standard raises had almost all been either 60k or pushes and it looked like he might be raising small so as to get away from a push although there's also the chance he has a big hand trying to instigate some action. I thought I had just big enough a stack to have fold equity if I pushed but both times I just couldnt pull the trigger and right then I felt like a shmuck and knew I would regret it.

What I'm looking for here is not just a simple ya, you shoulda pushed or no, easy fold...but more along the lines of what kind of hands you think an average player here is raising with, how much fold equity I have, what hands he's calling with and how mine might hold up against them.

Also, in the last month or two it seems like I can pretty consistently make it to the money and rather far in quite a few tourneys but I get to a point where I'm card dead, get into push/fold mode and end up losin on a hail mary push, not being able to "go all the way". I think adding more resteals to my game when I have a certain stack might help me go the extra distance at some point so I'm wondering some of your thoughts on how often you make plays like this during a tournament and some pointers on the circumstances of when to try it (position, stack sizes, opponents, etc.). Sorry for the length, but thanks in advance for any responses.