Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Good idea?
Yes 19 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2007, 10:37 AM

Default STT homegame: flopped nutflush...

Hi, first post, i hope its ok:

Turbo SNG Homegame, with remaining 6 of 9 Players, Blinds increase after every round.

Blinds: 15/30
Players are mostly conservative.

I hold A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button.
utg bets 60
1st folds
co calls
button calls
sb, bb both fold

Flop:
T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

...giving me the nut flush.

utg bets 60
co calls
and i ... well...

how would you proceed with this hand?
After some replies i will post the outcome of this hand and then you are welcome to discuss my play as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

thx & cu,
makro
Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: STT homegame: flopped nutflush...

Stacks? Impossible to say without them.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 AM

yeah need the stacks def looks like a reraise here though
Old 06-05-2007, 10:55 AM

stacks:

utg had about 1500
co had about 2000
i had about 1700

the starting stacks were 2000
Old 06-05-2007, 11:23 AM

I'd raise for value... nowhere near allin, maybe like 250-300 or so. Start building a pot.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise for value... nowhere near allin, maybe like 250-300 or so. Start building a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, looks good. Although I'm folding preflop.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, but blinds where low and in the hands before these two players were scared seeing any aces on the board, but if they had aces they did bet them. the blinds were rather TAG so they wouldnt limp/bet/raise without good pocket pairs or AK.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:46 AM

preflop is meh

id raise the flop to like 220ish, get some money in there. the great thing about your hand strength here is that people hardly ever put you on a flopped flush and they will often draw to 2nd and 3rd nut flushes or even straights on a board like this and you can build a pot without a problem on the flop, especially where theyll also put the most money in with their 2 pair/set type hands (aka the flop)
Old 06-05-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, but blinds where low and in the hands before these two players were scared seeing any aces on the board, but if they had aces they did bet them. the blinds were rather TAG so they wouldnt limp/bet/raise without good pocket pairs or AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably fold it preflop as well, even to a min raise. I mean, the blinds aren't that slow. You have under 30BBs which don't offer much in the way of implied odds. Also, you have reverse implied odds with this hand. What do you do if you hit your A? Well, probably lose chips if you get any action.

So, are you playing this hand for 2pr/stright/flush value? If you are, you aren't nearly deep enough.

Anyway, as played you need to raise here. You want to build a pot before and more scare cards can come for your opponents. It'd really suck if a another spade came killing your action.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 PM

I'm raising here too, mainly because the if the turn comes another spade it might kill all my action. Bet sizing is key here, you want it to be big enough to look like we're scared and small enough that he can call with a draw.

If we assign a range we can assume that he's going to fold trash to our raise and only call our raise with some sort of made hand or a draw. Candidate hands for a call are sets (22, TT, JJ) two pair (JT, J2, T2) and draw (KsQx, KxQs, KsJx and flushes we already beat (KsJs+) Since it's an UTG raise I'd assume T2 and J2 are discounted but the other holding are plausible for a 6 handed.

Now the made flushes are probably going to stick around no matter what, the sets and two pair can draw out on us, so we want to price them out and we want the flush draws to stick around as well. The pot currently contains 225. The sets have one card for quads, and six to pair the board for a boat for seven outs. Two pair only have four outs so any bet that prices out sets will also price out two pair.

The draws will believe they have nine outs or close to that if they're going to stick around. The deck has 45 cards left, so the sets have 7/45 = 15.5% and the draws are 9/45 = 20%. If we tried to price out the sets but keep the draws alive we'd re-raise 20% of the pot, which is only 45 additional chips for a bet of 105. However, this bet may look like a suck bet to your opponent or it may be seen as weakness so a read will determine if you want to raise more.

Since you're likely to win in this spot and trying to price out draws may look like a suck bet, I like to represent something like AJ with no spade and raise close to the size of the pot for about 200. This way it looks like I'm trying to price out draws, and the sets will think they have the best hand. Of course, if you're making small moves at pots then the smaller bet may disguise your steals later on if this hand gets to showdown. It's really a matter of read and style but the re-raise seems to be the best play.