Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 08:29 PM

Default NL25 - Ok river fold?

I've been trying out checking the flop when I hit top pair because people never ever believe me when I check the flop. It's not going so good today though, I got hit by two backdoor flushes in 18 hands, I was able to keep the pot small but it still sucks. Here's another hand where it backfired.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Hero ($29.10)
Button ($27.30)
SB ($28.65)
BB ($25)
UTG ($17.30)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($2.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, SB calls $2.

River: ($8.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $9</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $20.25
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: NL25 - Ok river fold?

You need to bet the flop. that turn raise accomplishes nothing, make it bigger. as played I'm not sure if you can call.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM

Don't check behind on the flop. No idea what SB is repping here, looks like a 7 or maybe a straight (doubt it) but he could very well raise with AT-AQ, 89. Since you checked the flop it's hard to get a range. Getting over 2:1 but I expect to see a 7 a lot here.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been trying out checking the flop when I hit top pair because people never ever believe me when I check the flop. It's not going so good today though, I got hit by two backdoor flushes in 18 hands, I was able to keep the pot small but it still sucks. Here's another hand where it backfired.

[/ QUOTE ]don't use this as an excuse. Betting the flop is standard for a reason. It's the best play. By checking the flop it's going to be hard to get somebodys stack with top 2. In order to do that he has to bet the turn and call your raise and call a river push and that's not happening often. Not only didn't that happen this time...you lost the entire pot.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 PM

Yea dude, bet that flop. The number of times your agains Ax or 78 or 8x 7x makes it more than profitable, even if they catch a set on the turn.

They will most likely call. You gotta punish people for this call. Sure that scary set will hit or they will out draw you...but you will get paid off in the mean time.

If you were first to act, you mighta gotten away with check raise...but just dont know.

I say bet either way.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Yuck. flop check is really bad. As played, call the river. Well, actually I could go either way. You played this in a way that got as little information from villain as possible about his hand range.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 PM

You must bet this flop. You must C-bet almost all flops that you raise, certainly in this case. Read stickies. Bet $2.

If he has a hand or a draw, then he will call and you will know where you stand. In this case, you have no idea. You are probably way ahead on the turn, but you do not know because of the flop.

I call the river as the only card that beats you is a 7. He may just have a worse two pair than you.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:56 AM

Definately bet flop.
As played check behind river.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:02 AM

I might could have picked up the pot at the flop with a bet.. now you are for a tough decision.. you might could have checked also on the river because this is also a scare card for him so I guess you won't will call a bet on the river with very weak holdings and now you gave him a change to CR. I guess I had folded the river as well or vilian must be known as very aggresive.