Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 06:51 PM

Default ? on how to leave a company after a short term of employement

All,

I graduated college in December 2006 BS Engineering and took a job out of state for a engineering consulting job. For the first 6 months of the job your basically training so that you can eventually do your job out in the field ( lots of traveling required). There are many great benefits such as company car where I pay nothing, yearly bonus, communication pacakage and decent vacation package.

I have had a change of heart and feel like changing job for several reasons:
-The job requires more travel than I am comfortable with
-The job requires no more than what a highschool diploma worker could provide. Im afraid that if I stay in here too long I will lose the knowledge that I received a degree for and potentially lose my attractiveness to any future employeres because of this.
-Ive been in a new town/state for almost 6 months and I haven't realy hungout/met more than 5 people more than I already knew here, because i'm out of town so much.

I guess im trying to justify to myself why I would like to leave this company, but I'm unsure how to actually go about it. I have all this home office equipment ( I work out of my house), car, etc. that would need to be returned. And because I have received ( plane tickets, lodging, meals, salary) so much more than I have provided to this company for 6 months, i'm unsure how they would respond.

So what would be the correct procedure to quietly, easily, and respectfully resign with as little interaction as possible?

Also this is a really big company so my leaving would not make that big of a splash so-to speak.

Thanks

Ian
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: ? on how to leave a company after a short term of employement

I would just explain to them exactly what you just explained to us - the travel, experience and your new living situation isn't what you hoped and you're sorry it didn't work out but you're going to go elsewhere for employment. They're not gonna take it personally. Just be professional about it.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just explain to them exactly what you just explained to us - the travel, experience and your new living situation isn't what you hoped and you're sorry it didn't work out but you're going to go elsewhere for employment. They're not gonna take it personally. Just be professional about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Mostly I'm confused why OP registered at this site to ask a bunch of gambling degenerates who don't have real jobs how to quit his real job instead of a board where people have real jobs.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:57 PM

Well this guy we just hired in my dept worked 1 1/2 days and then quitely snuck out and we never heard from him again. That's a pretty low amount of interaction. Try that maybe, or write a letter of resignation.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM

ian,

it's no big deal. Just be honest with them like mbill says. One thing you might want to check on is if you received any relocation bonus, you're usually required to pay it back if you haven't been there X amount of time (for me it was a year).
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice.

Also, make sure you end on relatively good terms and don't burn bridges. Make sure you give the company the required two week notice. You'll be fine.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:04 PM

My stepbrother got a decent-paying, supposedly executive-track job with a railroad Co. right out of college. The first job they gave him basically consisted of babysitting a bunch of Union workers out on the line, and trying to tell these grizzled unfirables what to do. He put up with this for 6 or 8 months I think then told them he was going to quit. Upon which they moved him into their corporate offices where he's worked ever since.

Anyway point is probably a lot of people don't want to do your job because of all the travel. If they value you and you've shown some promise, they may still keep you on in some position where you don't have to travel. Make it clear the reasons why you want to leave and see what happens.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, make sure you end on relatively good terms and don't burn bridges. Make sure you give the company the required two week notice. You'll be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is his main concern. I understand he's a bit worried about coming off like a mooch by working 6 months (enough for training) and never really delivering. But if he's honest with them, they'll understand. It happens all the time.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:11 PM

suzzler,

You inadvertently stumbled across something employees do that drives me nuts. They accept a job elsewhere without discussing their unhappiness with their current employer. When they go to give notice the employer is like "you're unhappy!? Why didn't you say something? How about a raise/promotion/transfer to make things right?"

Then they accept a counteroffer and eff over the new job. Usually they're the big losers in the end though, since the attrition rate of people who accept counteroffers is so staggeringly high that they'll be gone in a few months anyway, and the other company isn't interested in getting burned twice.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:19 PM

I would not like to give the two weeks notice as right now im just doing "baby-step" jobs and it would not benefit them to pay more for 2 more additional weeks of work.

There are no other positions that they have at the company that I would be able to do. Almost all the jobs in this company stem from 5+ years of experience from this job.

I have heard also from other employees that they have heard stories of experienced employees being taken right of their office when they gave their two weeks notice.

Also, since my heart really isnt in this position, I think im contributing sub-par work.

If I were to follow-through with this, would an email to my real manager or my training manager or both be sufficient. Would phone call be better? And as far as the car and office equipment, just park it in the parking lot?

Thanks all, This has been eating at me for a while.