Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Default How to capitalize on the overcall?

I've been playing $50-$100 SnGs (Non turbo) for quite a while now and one play that has me kind of stumped is when people just call my 3xbb raise when I have about 11-20xbb's left in my stack.

Here's an example:
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (4 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1905)</font>
Button (t3110)
<font color="#C00000">SB (t1755)</font>
BB (t2230)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t250, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t700) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1605 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t1455 (All-In).

Turn: (t3760) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t3760) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3760

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has As Qd (one pair, sixes).
SB has Kh Th (two pair, tens and sixes).
Outcome: SB wins t3610. Hero wins t150. </font>

Should I just check, or do I need to bet only the right board texture's (obviously if I flop a pair it's not an issue). The push looks like an overbet, but assuming I have good fold equity with overcards I should be alright (my thoughts, of course)

Here's another:
Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t160 (3 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB (t2675)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t2030)</font>
SB (t4295)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, SB calls t320, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t960) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1630 (All-In)</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: t2590

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins t2590. </font>

I don't Always push, sometimes I'll just check down, but my opponents are obviously doing it way too much to have a slowplayed AA/KK everytime.

It seems like a bad play when people just call your raise, but I can't seem to capitalize. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: How to capitalize on the overcall?

losing 3BB doesn't change the tournament for SB in the first example. Hence he is right to call and will either Fold or puch on the flop (or CC/CR which is much the same)
Old 06-04-2007, 05:14 PM

You have room on the first one to make a normal c-bet and walk away if called/raised. Second seems fine to me.

Dealing with these spots really forces you to think in terms of the long run. If you shove the second hand on every flop, you win when he misses, you win big when you both hit (but you hit better and, generally, you will against these preflop callers), and you only lose when he hits and you miss (plus sometimes you'll still have outs).

So, yes, while it sucks to bubble pushing air into someone with a made hand, far more often than not, you come out ahead. Volume and thick skin help.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:16 PM

It looks like you're over-betting the pot on the flop. It seems like you're only asking yourself "How can I pick up this pot", but you should also be asking yourself "What hand is going to call me that I beat". For example, on the first hand, nothing you beat is going to call you. So shoving all-in will get you paid off on nothing. Plus the fact that you bet 2.5X the pot will make you win little when you are ahead, but lose a lot when you are behind. So you could have c-bet about 400 on the first one. On the second one you could have c-bet 500 or so (and you probably still would have won the pot).
Old 06-04-2007, 05:17 PM

1. raise pf to 250, c-bet 1/2 pot.
2. push pf