Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 AM

Default HIIT then squatting

I simply cannot workout in the morning, I only have the time after work. I need to get cardio in so I have to do some sort of cardio with my lifting at least twice a week (on my medium/light lift days). Thing is, I simply cannot jog much less sprint safely after having done my squats. My legs are too weak, I'm worried they'll buckle and I'll mess up my knees or be propelled into the wall behind my teadmill.

So I'm lifting everything except legs before I do the HIIT, then doing the squats right after. I know you're supposed to lift first, but how bad is this?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: HIIT then squatting

i would imagine that it depends on your goals...if your goals are such that squatting is more important then squat first, if hiit is more important then do that first...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 PM

i imagine doing HIIT before squating will fatigue your legs and hinder your ability to squat bigger numbers, but as mentioned, it depends on what your goals are. if you're exercising to lose weight, there's nothing wrong w/ HIIT before squating.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:49 PM

as long as you keep it light and watch your form it is ok, still not reccomended, but in high school i used to lift legs after track. it's nearly impossible to go heavy on squats after a decent HIIT workout, but if you're willing to do them lighter they are still one of the more beneficial parts of a workout
Old 06-04-2007, 12:55 PM

thanks for the advice guys. would you still suggest I lift everything else before HIIT, then do just legs?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:00 PM

This means that your legs are not strong enough or becoming stiff. Once you get used to squatting it is no big deal to do running afterwards. Do stretching routine and walk around a lot after doing squats so your legs don't tighten up.