Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 PM

Default While we\'re on the subject of alcohol.....

Like I said I quit drinking about 6 1/2 years ago after my drinking got progressivly got worse to the point of drinking a 12 pack + per night. One of my biggest reasons was not wanting it to become part of my sons life like it was mine. I can still remember being 6 years old and my job was to hand my dad the beers from the cooler in the back seat of the car. We'd be driving cross country and he'd constantly drink. My mom would give him the lil airplane bottles of vodka so he could put it in his oj for breakfast.

My dad would give me sips of his beer when I was that age. The first time I gor real drunk I got busted. I was in the 5th grade. The messed up part of it was I didn't really get in any trouble. My mom was as naive as they come. When I was 13 my mom picked us up from the mall and she said we smelled like whiskey. I just told her some old guy spilled some on me. Yes it was that easy. She used to buy me chewing tobacco at the store every week because I told her it was candy.

Anyway I knew at some point I was going to quit. I just didn't know what I was going to do with myself after work if I wasn't drinking. I knew I didn't need any help. I didn't believe I was like chemically or physically addicted. Just that it was something I did every day.

As a side note I have a real addictive and very strong personality. I feel like Paul Waskia in the sense that he says he does something all out or not at all. I just happened to do it all on bad things [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway so I wake up one morning and said that's it I'm never drinking again. Everyone that knew me just KNEW I was FOS. Noone hardly saw me w/o a beer. Heck I was allowed to drink at work (after 5 when the dront office left)

So that was it 6 1/2 years later. I've sat and cried thinking about how glad I havn't made that a part of my sons life. He's only 10 and who knows what the fuure brings but I've done something to put him in the right direction. I started talking to him about alchol and drugs when he was 4. I hope to lead him in the right direction.

Ok, so here's where the scary contradictions come in.

As some of you may or may not remember about me is I'm having some real marriage problems. I won't really bore you with all the details. But with all these problems sometimes I just feel like slamming some down. In all honesty I feel like the reality of that is like less that 1%. But it's really weird. With all that I've done as far as that's concerned that something like that would even enter my mind.

Wow, what trying times we all face.

Anyway I have left so much out that, like I said, I don't want to bore you all with but maybe I will have to fill in some of the gaps.

I need a vacation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: While we\'re on the subject of alcohol.....

Sorry if this derails, but I still haven't read anything scientific about someone having an 'addictive personality'. Everyone gets addicted to certain things (and I mean everyone), its your choice as to what it is.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this derails, but I still haven't read anything scientific about someone having an 'addictive personality'. Everyone gets addicted to certain things (and I mean everyone), its your choice as to what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, some people are addicted to Jesus, some are addicted to money, some are addicted to poker, some addicted to solitary research. Almost NOBODY goes through life with an open mind, stepping back, not obsessing and using simple crutches. Even the most admirable people in history were addicted to some sort of cause (money, fame, science, whatever). It's just too hard to be a fully rational & balanced human.

(some might say that being addicted to religion or family is admirable, but IMHO any irrational addiction leads to negative behavior even if it's for a positive cause, just like patriotism is good but excessive patriotism is very very bad)

Also, while I admire alcoholics who get clean, every single one that I know is impossible to hang out with now that they're clean. Lots of them were great fun to hang with, and now are just really weird/uncomfortable. A lot of them drink tons of coffee or work out a lot, or talk about their kids/religion constantly. I understand it must be hard compensate for one major addiction and you need to fill the void with something else, and that's ok, but it just seems like it's almost impossible to return to being a "normal" person.

ps. I think I'm definitely borderline alcy and I don't want to get cured.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:19 AM

I always believed that alcohol is rarely the problem itself, merely the symptom.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 AM

good story op. not sure how i came across your blog - but i enjoyed it.

arturius and cbloom, um, be smarter.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

[/ QUOTE ]

you really believe that everyone is exactly the same when it comes to addiction? no one is exactly the same in any aspect of their personality. it is silly to think that it isn't more difficult for certain people to stay away from drugs and alcohol than others.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 AM

When I say I have an addictive personality maybe thats' just a poor choice of a word. It just means once I get into doing something I just dive off in it.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

[/ QUOTE ]

you really believe that everyone is exactly the same when it comes to addiction? no one is exactly the same in any aspect of their personality. it is silly to think that it isn't more difficult for certain people to stay away from drugs and alcohol than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alcohol users usually suffer from a dependancy that exists from the state of mind it creates. Addictive personality is really only an extremely small piece of the puzzle, and I've never seen a scientific study make any kind of correlation with it.

There's no doubt that alcoholics become more dependent on drinking to see them through, but being an 'addictive person' and being an alcoholic I suspect would have a very weak correlation. There's a ton of people addicted to a range of things, it could be church, it could be working, it could be working out. But these same people drink, and do not become alcoholics. I think there's something deeper to why an alcoholic is more suseptable then a simple 'oh he just gets addicted to things really easily!'.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:32 AM

Well if alcoholism is a trait then I was in a dangerous situation. My brother, father, sister, 2 out of 4 grandparents and an uncle or 2 have all been in rehab for alcohol. Besides that I have a very addictive personality.

I truly believe I stopped before I became an alcoholic. I was just getting closer everyday.