Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 09:56 PM

Default General request

I guess I'll start off with the request: Would those of you who post hands PLEASE at some point also post the results?

Admittedly, the results and the best play are independent issues, but when I bite into analysing a hand, I find it really frustrating if I don't know what happened.

And I guess I'll tack on a question here related to my own situation: I've started exploring this board because it does seem to me like it's the place to find a lot of good live hands and live hand analysis. And while I've played a lot online, I've really become a live player.

But there's the issue: 2/5 is just the biggest game that gets going regularly where I live, and that's just not high stakes.

So, would you guys object if I occasionally post some of my own 2/5 hands here where I have questions? Ok, I could post them in the medium stakes section, but (at the risk of sounding too cocky for the stakes I'm playing) I don't really expect nearly as good of an analysis there and feel like it's probably not worth the trouble if the really good players on here aren't reading it anyway. Anyhow, when I do make a mistake, I usually know what it was anyway, but there are some cases where I'm less certain and where I would indeed be very interested in some good opinions.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: General request

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really expect nearly as good of an analysis there and feel like it's probably not worth the trouble if the really good players on here aren't reading it anyway. Anyhow, when I do make a mistake, I usually know what it was anyway, but there are some cases where I'm less certain and where I would indeed be very interested in some good opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound very sure of yourself. Are you sure you're really looking for advice?

Also, I would't sell the midstakes pro's short. Their advice is much better than you give them credit for, and much more appropriate for the stakes you're talking about. And, this is not so much a question of "skill", but merely that the game is played very differently at high stakes than mid to low stakes, mainly because of the amount of money in question, and the fact that most HS is played shorthanded, vs mid and low stakes.

Mid and low stakes is much more nittish than high stakes, and honestly the strategy for beating 2-5 is going to be much closer to them, as 2-5 falls in that range. HS is much looser, and if you play 2-5 like you would play HS, you're probably looking at a world of pain... Unless you're planning on playing a lot of shorthanded games.

It's just a different game, and 2-5 doesn't really translate. Heck, look at the Jman threads, some really good stuff there. But chances are, you are not calling down with 33 in a 2-5 NL game. Or... maybe you are [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ok, I've said my bit, the regular HS players can flame away on me if they like [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2007, 10:32 PM

MSNL probably has the best hand analysis of all the NL forums.

Also 2/5 NL live hands probably fall more under SSNL category of analysis.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:50 PM

If you post a 2/5 hand in MSNL you will get good advice from some very good mid and high stakes players, who surely make a ton more money than you do..........or you can post in HSNL and get a bunch of sarcastic and hillarious responses.......it's your choice.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:00 PM

I feel like no 2/5 hand is complicated enough where you'd need the help of expert high stakes players.

Also, it seems to me that HSNL has more SSNL posters/posters who prolly don't even play poker than MSNL.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 AM

lol, well, I guess that answers my question.

The thing is, around here in the 2/5, I see exactly the kind of stuff you're talking about as typical for 10/20--lots of 97o raises usually (the game varies as to who is sitting at the table), I've had 33 re-raise me ... Watching the Bellagio 10/20 really reminded me a lot of the 2/5 here--except that there were essentially no short-stacks at the Bellagio 10/20, but the composition of the table was very similar in terms of loose, tight, passive, etc.

But, no, I'm not calling down with 33 in this game, although against some I would with 88.

Also, I saw almost no live hands in MSNL last time I checked, but maybe it was just unusual. That was really the reason for my question.