Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Default AQ 20-40

This hand was played with a live 40 (a blind raise by UTG for those who don't know what live 40 means). Not a lot of history with UTG+2. From what I've seen he calls raises light and can enter into pots pre-flop with total garbage (although it was always in late posistion after a couple of awful limpers). I have't seen him raise much and when he has it was with a strong hand. He has won just about every pot he has gotten involved in at this point. Hi-jack and I have played a lot together. We respect each other, but I'm positive I have an edge in the who fears whom category. Mostly because I am much lagier than him, especially with position. When this hand took place he was stuck like a pig and I hadn't seen how he reacts to that situation before.

UTG posts live 40, UTG+2 3-bets, I cap it with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Hi-jack cold-calls, SB calls and UTG calls.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to UTG+2 who bets. As he's betting he looks at me and says "you can raise". I oblige and pop-it up. Hi-jack 3-towns (100% this means he hit the flop), SB and UTG fold. UTG+2 caps it while yapping something about pocket aces. The yapping was with a confident tone. I go in the tank...
Old 06-03-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: AQ 20-40

Fold onced its capped. Its all over.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold onced its capped. Its all over.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a regular old 5-way capped pre-flop pot against sane opponents, I tend to agree, but doesn't the fact that this pot was played with a live 40 and that the pot is now rather large change things?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In a regular old 5-way capped pre-flop pot against sane opponents, I tend to agree, but doesn't the fact that this pot was played with a live 40 and that the pot is now rather large change things?

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like you are behind. UTG+2 looks like KK, he must have TPTK beat for a flop cap. C/O should have a pair or suited conncecrot based on P/F play. He most likely hit a set for the flop 3 bet. I understand that P/F play looked like isolation raise by UTG+2 and calling w/ suited conncetor type hand by C/O trying to get unstuck, but their flop play changes these reads. The pot is big, but what good are the odds if you are drawing dead?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(30 small bets...)

caps it while yapping something about pocket aces. The yapping was with a confident tone. I go in the tank...

[/ QUOTE ]

My species hates to go in tanks, because what follows is always bad. That said, what are you agonizing over? You can't raise, and the pot's too big to fold. You can either:

1) call.
2) shout "Look! There's a flying saucer!", grab the chips while their heads are turned, and run out the back door.

I recommend #2.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:32 AM

I don't really like the flop raise. When I raise in a pot this big with TPTK, it's going to be a safe turn card -- especially if you can knock out the player you respect and get heads-up with what appears could be a worse hand.

Are you beat here? Probably. But the pot is big. Call the flop intending to raise the turn. Reevaluate from there.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:13 PM

If the Hi-jack has hit this flop 100% of the time and has the respect for you that you say he has then you are definately beat at the moment(maybe tied if he has AQ). The question is do you have any outs to proceed. Your best case scenario is that he has KK and the other guy is fulling around with a hand you beat. Any other holding that the Hi-jack could have has you crushed. Your biggest problem is that you are stuck between these two players and may giving some huge reverse implied odds if caught between a raising war. This assumes you are going to showdown with this hand. It doesn't appear that the aggression is going to stop here, therefore, I would suggest letting this one go.

I will guess TT for Hi-Jack and KK for UTG+2
Old 06-05-2007, 02:52 PM

I can't really see calling here ever in this spot. You've got to call 2 bets cold here and at LEAST 2 more bets total on the turn/river(if not 3-4). Best case scenario is that you're up against any combo of KJ/KQ/AQ/KK. Worst case scenario you're drawing extremly thin or stone cold dead.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 AM

Muck-a-roo. Too far to go with a hand that is, at best, chopping.

- Jim