Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 PM

Default joining a club....worth it?

I'm thinking specifically of public courses, but as an aside how are private clubs different? The club I'm thinking of is $100 per year giving right to play in monthly $50 tournys wherein prize money is paid in club cash.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: joining a club....worth it?

Depends on where you live(the private club deal) It is going to cost you way more than $100 per year, clubs near me are anywhere from 10k-50k and some of the more exclusive places are 100k-250k just to join, then you are going to pay anywhere from $300 to $1000 per month in dues. Oh and youll have to join the mens club (another $100/year) to play in tournaments. Keep in mind, yor winnings are paid in funny money you can spend on merchandise in the golf shop.

tobdog
Old 06-05-2007, 11:48 AM

Depends on how much golf you play. Do you have any clients, family, etc. that can get any use from the facilities? I joined a private club five years ago and it was the best golf decision I've ever made. That being said, I play about 2-3 times during the week after work and pretty much every Saturday, some Sundays. So, I get my money's worth because I play so many rounds. If you are talking about playing once every two weeks I don't know if it would be worth it, strictly from a financial point.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:22 PM

I had a 1 year, Monday thru Friday membership at a course in Arizona that only cost me $1400, including cart.

Maybe look into something like this instead of actually joining a club.

Sounds like you joined the mens club at that course. Totally different from a membership, but it's a great way to meet some potential golf buddies.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Joining a private club is a big financial decision.

Here's just a few things to think about:

Is the club equity or non-equity? I could write several paragraphs about the difference between equity and non-equity clubs.

How many golf members? If there are non-golf members, what playing privileges do they have?

Are you interested in other amenities -- tennis, pool, fitness equipment, food & beverage?

Do you like the course(s)? Do you love the course(s)? Can you see yourself playing it 90%+ of the time you play?

How are the practice facilities?

What's the condition of the golf course? Ask around. Has it consistently been regarded as one of the better-conditioned courses in the area?

What's the average age of the membership? You don't want to be playing with people your grandfather's age.

Monthly dues are one thing. But there can be a lot of other fees that add up. Food and beverage minimums. Locker fees. Bag room fees. Men's club fees.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:38 PM

I worked at Desert Highlands in Scottsdale, Arizona...the MINIMUM each member had to spend on food and beverages was $18,000 each year,LOL
Old 06-05-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you joined the mens club at that course. Totally different from a membership, but it's a great way to meet some potential golf buddies.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. It is a mens club. I'm gonna join because I get a little tired of rolling the dice when going out as a single. I wanna join/start a ss gambling group that knows what they're doing. I'm a 25hc, but a degen.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on where you live(the private club deal) It is going to cost you way more than $100 per year, clubs near me are anywhere from 10k-50k and some of the more exclusive places are 100k-250k just to join, then you are going to pay anywhere from $300 to $1000 per month in dues. Oh and youll have to join the mens club (another $100/year) to play in tournaments. Keep in mind, yor winnings are paid in funny money you can spend on merchandise in the golf shop.

tobdog

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all accurate, at least for where i live (No VA).

Private clubs are awesome, if you can afford it (obv).

In my area, we also have some courses that are semi-private. You can purchase a yearly membership, which is basically just a discount on each round, depending on how much you play. You also get preference for tee times and usually some other freebies/discounts.

Kermit
Old 06-07-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I worked at Desert Highlands in Scottsdale, Arizona...the MINIMUM each member had to spend on food and beverages was $18,000 each year,LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

i find this hard to believe. most minimums are in the 500-2000 range. 18k is $50/day average. a couple would pretty much have to eat there at least once per day almost EVERY day of the year?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Joining a men's club is definitely worth it. First, it allows you to establish an official handicap. It also gets you into their monthly weekend tournaments, which are times when the general public cannot play (until after the Men's club tourney is done). At $100, its a no-brainer.