Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Question about knocking Yankees 1st Baseman Unconscious

Yesterday the Red Sox had the bases loaded with no outs and were trailing by 1 run to the Yankees.

A double play ball was hit to Cano, relayed to Jeter who threw a bouncer to Mientkiewicz at 1st. The ball fell out of the 1st baseman's glove a split second before being knocked in the head by the runner and Mientkiewicz fell to the ground in pain and the ball rolled about 8 feet from him.

The runner continued to second and all the runners advanced a base (scoring the go ahead run).

I was surprised the commentators did not discuss this, as, had the 1st baseman not been knocked to the ground in pain, and since the ball was not far enough to allow for advancing the runners, the other run would not have scored...and considering the 1st baseman was knocked out BY the Red Sox runner, isn't it considered unsportsmanlike to take advantage of an injured player?

Yeah, the Sox won by a lot more than 1 run, but this play was clearly the turning point of the game.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Question about knocking Yankees 1st Baseman Unconscious

I'm a BoSox fan, but I gotta agree with you.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Would it be unsportsmanlike if runners continue to run when a fielder runs into the wall and drops?
Old 06-03-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday the Red Sox had the bases loaded with no outs and were trailing by 1 run to the Yankees.

A double play ball was hit to Cano, relayed to Jeter who threw a bouncer to Mientkiewicz at 1st. The ball fell out of the 1st baseman's glove a split second before being knocked in the head by the runner and Mientkiewicz fell to the ground in pain and the ball rolled about 8 feet from him.

The runner continued to second and all the runners advanced a base (scoring the go ahead run).

I was surprised the commentators did not discuss this, as, had the 1st baseman not been knocked to the ground in pain, and since the ball was not far enough to allow for advancing the runners, the other run would not have scored...and considering the 1st baseman was knocked out BY the Red Sox runner, isn't it considered unsportsmanlike to take advantage of an injured player?

Yeah, the Sox won by a lot more than 1 run, but this play was clearly the turning point of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. The injury was just a result of the collision. Lowell didn't advance because it was an error. He advanced because no one got the ball. I know the bases were loaded, so I don't know where Proctor was supposed to run to. But he was standing on the mound watching the whole play. I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to be just standing there w/ 0 outs. Normally the catcher runs to 1st base on a grounder but Nieves couldn't leave home plate. So I'm guessing Proctor should have been near 1st base to back up Minky.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The ball fell out of the 1st baseman's glove a split second before being knocked in the head by the runner and Mientkiewicz fell to the ground in pain and the ball rolled about 8 feet from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really awful sentence. I did manage to figure out what happened after several readings of the OP.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be unsportsmanlike if runners continue to run when a fielder runs into the wall and drops?

[/ QUOTE ]

Outfielder hitting the wall =/= 1B getting hit by an opponent.

Cody
Old 06-03-2007, 03:15 PM

No.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Outfielder hitting the wall =/= 1B getting hit by an opponent.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. But I think it's hard to expect base runners, especially multiple base runners, to analyze what happened at first, decide whether it's moral or not to keep running, and then coordinate together that they should all stop running because it's not right.

I think the unwritten rule is always assume the ball is in play and run if you can make it, regardless of situation. Every player assumes everyone else will follow this, so no club can be mad when it happens to them.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Lowell didn't hit him on purpose, he was trying to beat out the throw and Minky fell into the basepath as Lowell ran over the bag (as is normal to do when running out a grounder). You can even see Lowell trying to ease off a little bit as he collides with Minky, leaning back and stuttering his step. He had very little time to react. Lowell plays hard but clean.

Of course he took 2nd after the ball rolled away and nobody backed it up. Then he went to see if Doug was ok. That's what he should do, and nobody on the Yankees would fault him for it.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lowell didn't hit him on purpose, he was trying to beat out the throw and Minky fell into the basepath as Lowell ran over the bag (as is normal to do when running out a grounder). You can even see Lowell trying to ease off a little bit as he collides with Minky, leaning back and stuttering his step. He had very little time to react. Lowell plays hard but clean.

Of course he took 2nd after the ball rolled away and nobody backed it up. Then he went to see if Doug was ok. That's what he should do, and nobody on the Yankees would fault him for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fair, I never saw the play, was just responding to what I read. If it was accidental, then I suppose everyone should keep running and the Pitcher should come over to cover.

I was under the impression that the baserunner charged the 1B in an attempt to bowl him over, which is illegal at first (I thought I saw something in the baseball rules thread a little while back).

Cody