Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 01:19 PM

Default PS60 - AK L1 turns TP

Only the 3rd hand so no read. Comments on all streets appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1490)
CO (t1560)
Button (t1420)
Hero (t1480)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1420)
UTG+1 (t1630)
MP1 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]], A[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]].
1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t20,3 folds</font>, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, Hero raises to t140</font>,1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t120, CO folds, Button folds.

Flop: (t340) 9[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], 7[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]], 8[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Turn: (t340) A[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: (t340) K[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]](2 players)</font>

Hero bets 100.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: PS60 - AK L1 turns TP

Bet 250+ on turn.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:42 PM

I probably bet the flop, definitely bet the turn
Old 06-03-2007, 01:45 PM

might bet the flop and I sure would bet the turn
Old 06-03-2007, 01:59 PM

This seems very true as I'm typing it, but is it weak of me to limp here in SB after those three callers? I may be losing value, but raising enough to push out some of those limpers and then having to play OOP post-flop this early just seems kind of undesirable.

I can imagine all the horrible situations such as allowing some drawing hands in for very cheap, allowing pairs to possibly stack me with a set, etc, but .. yea. Before I finish digging my own grave here, does no one else think of limping here ever instead of committing about 150-200 chips right off the bat?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop is a bit nasty for a c-bet as I think you only fold a few hands like 22-4, AQ, KQ. I could see all sorts of stuff calling you and then firing the turn like 55, 66, TT, anything wiht a J, etc. Not to mention hands with a 7,8, or 9. Even AQ or AK could take the pot from you on the turn. I'm not trying to argue as I was about 50/50 whether to c-bet.

I like the turn bet. It is hard to believe I am behind here and there are probably a ton of str8 draw possibilities.

One question, if you fire the turn are you pretty much going to the felt on this one?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop is a bit nasty for a c-bet as I think you only fold a few hands like 22-4, AQ, KQ. I could see all sorts of stuff calling you and then firing the turn like 55, 66, TT, anything wiht a J, etc. Not to mention hands with a 7,8, or 9. Even AQ or AK could take the pot from you on the turn. I'm not trying to argue as I was about 50/50 whether to c-bet.

I like the turn bet. It is hard to believe I am behind here and there are probably a ton of str8 draw possibilities.

One question, if you fire the turn are you pretty much going to the felt on this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, theres 12 cards to come that will make you muck your hand but if you bet now and even if one of them hits since your first to act on turn your bet might take down the pot of course this gets lots of chips in the pot without any praticular reason but if thats the case you shouldn't raise pre-flop either.Thats just my thoughts, I think playing AK in early stage is one of my biggest leaks.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:06 PM

You seem to make a habit of these passive lines. I guess they're ok. But for me when I'm multitabling I just like to keep things simple. Against an unknown (= most likely passive calling station) at the $60s I pretty much always c-bet. And once that turn hits my only concern is how to get the most money in the pot possible.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems very true as I'm typing it, but is it weak of me to limp here in SB after those three callers? I may be losing value, but raising enough to push out some of those limpers and then having to play OOP post-flop this early just seems kind of undesirable.

I can imagine all the horrible situations such as allowing some drawing hands in for very cheap, allowing pairs to possibly stack me with a set, etc, but .. yea. Before I finish digging my own grave here, does no one else think of limping here ever instead of committing about 150-200 chips right off the bat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think my standard play here is to limp.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree about the flop being a tricky one for a c-bet. I may c-bet about 75% of the time and check 25% or something like that.

If the flop got checked, then we bet say 250 on the turn, I'd have a hard time getting away from it. If he made a non AI raise to like 600-700, I'd want to throw up...but without a good read I'm probably still going broke.