Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 06:20 AM

Default 3-betting and 4-betting ranges. hand history too

I don't know anything about my opponents. Should I 4-bet preflop?

Hero has Ah, Kh in this hand.

Poker Room skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
HERO: $394
UTG+1: $485.70
CO: $535.20
Button: $653.75
SB: $380
BB: $21.80

Pre-flop: (6 players) HERO is UTG with : :
<font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to $14</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $58</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB calls all-in $17.8</font>, HERO calls, Button calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($195.8, 3 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $87.2, Sidepot 1: $108.6)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $135</font>, HERO folds, Button folds.
Uncalled bets: $135 returned to SB.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($195.8, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $87.2, Sidepot 1: $108.6)

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($195.8, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $87.2, Sidepot 1: $108.6)

Results:
Final pot: $195.8

What are considered good 3-bet and 4-bet ranges. I play LAG - raising a lot of hands preflop, cbetting a lot, etc. I don't play too crazy.

I don't know if I should 4bet this hand. AKs is good but not the nuts. I decided not to, so that I could see a lot a flop and if I hit I would then attack. Is this a good idea? It might have been better for me to 4-bet preflop. That way I might get an allin preflop and I can see all 5 cards and therefore have more chance of hitting. AKs vs QQ is close when 5 cards come out, but with only 3 QQ has a big edge.

Also, what people's thoughts on 3betting. Is it a good idea to call preflop with hands like AQ or AJ or just call? Also, how does position affect your range?

What about a hand like 99? My cutoff line with 3betting pockets is TT. Anything less and I'll play it similar to 22 (try and hit a set and stack someone).

I also 3bet hands like 87s and 79s in positon. I've stopped doing this now though, because at the $400NL games I play on the PokerRoom network, I feel that I just get way too many callers on a preflop 3bet. I will occasionally 3bet suited connector type hands at these tables, but a lot less than I would like to.

What are your thoughts?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Re: 3-betting and 4-betting ranges. hand history too

hmm i dont no exactly what stats your playing at but against 95% of people this is an easy 4bet call shove or 4bet shove.

3betting and 4betting is more about your opponent and his opening range. If a guys playing 12/10 then repoping A,J from a CO raise is probably not a good move and should in fact be folde preflop.

If the guys 20/18 then i'd 3bet any decent hand and pair.

If the 20/18 then 4bet me i'd shove/ call shove with JJs+ and A,Q+
Old 06-03-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, what people's thoughts on 3betting. Is it a good idea to call preflop with hands like AQ or AJ or just call? Also, how does position affect your range?

What are your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a fairly loose raiser I am 3 betting almost any hand I want to play. I adopt a raise or fold strategy because I feel that being in charge of the hand is second in importance only to position. I will call on occaision with more value type hands in multi way pots, however if someone raises and it then folds to me I am 3 betting or folding the majority of the time.

With regards to range I agree with wtf, as it is more about your opponents range and how loose they call three bets. For exapmle against a player who folds hands like AJ oop to a 3 bet you can really take advantage of.

The thing to watch out for here tho is to distinguish the players who are able to adjust to your light three betting. The majority of players however, especialy the multi tabling nits will simply make no adjustment and you can steal their raises all day.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm i dont no exactly what stats your playing at but against 95% of people this is an easy 4bet call shove or 4bet shove.

3betting and 4betting is more about your opponent and his opening range. If a guys playing 12/10 then repoping A,J from a CO raise is probably not a good move and should in fact be folde preflop.

If the guys 20/18 then i'd 3bet any decent hand and pair.

If the 20/18 then 4bet me i'd shove/ call shove with JJs+ and A,Q+

[/ QUOTE ]
you would shove AQ to a 4bet? IMO that's too loose and you will lose a lot of money doing that. At Ongame a 4bet means TT-AA or AK at worst.

However, if you're 3betting as light as you suggest then players will 4-bet you a lot more and with a wider range - so I guess it isn't too bad. I will 4-bet a wide range of hands if I feel players are 3betting me too much and AQ would definitely be good against my range and get me to fold a lot of good hands and obviously all of my bluffing hands.

Do you leave room for a 5-bet and if you do get 5 bet do you fold a lot of hands?
Example:
100BB stacks.
I raise to 3.5xBB. Get raised to 12xBB. I 4bet to 36xBB. Villain pushes - there is still definitely room for me to fold my AQ and I almost certainly would since a 5bet preflop is just not a bluff and it usually means AA or KK. And from some players it means TT-AA or AK, but no worse.