Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 04:16 PM

Default The Finals of the 2006 WSOP Main Event. You vs. ??? - WHAT DO YOU DO?

This thread got me thinking about this topic.

It's the finals of the 2006 WSOP Main Event. It's you vs. some guy.

You both have the same number of chips.

From what you've seen of his play, you don't think you have any real edge in ability over him or he over you.

1st Prize = 10 million
2nd Prize = 6 million

He offers you this deal:

You will win but get 2nd place money. He will come in 2nd but get 1st place money.

No one will ever know about this arrangement (except your accountants and lawyers). You only will pay taxes on the 6 million and he'll have to pay on the full 10.

In short: Do you think "winning" the main event in everyone's eyes is worth it more than the extra monies from winning?

How much does your decision change if you believe you have a 60% chance over him? Of him over you? Increase the percentage - same question...
Old 02-20-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: The Finals of the 2006 WSOP Main Event. You vs. ??? - WHAT DO YOU DO?

I voted yes. I'm guessing the lifetime earnings from the bracelet are > $4M. But to make sure, when I win, I'm jumping up on the table, taking a big-ass dump, then announcing I had chili for dinner and finishing by wiping my ass with ten thousand dollars.

No matter how many WSOP ME champions there are, people will never forget me. I'll be making personal appearances until I'm eighty years old.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: The Finals of the 2006 WSOP Main Event. You vs. ??? - WHAT DO YOU DO?

No, I decline.

You made it past 6 or 7 thousand players, you have to try for one more. Plus you would always know in your heart that you weren't the champion. (Cheesy but true).

It would be like your dad paying the opposing pitcher in your little league game to toss you meat, just so you could get a basehit.

But now that I think about it, I thought I read somewhere where Larry Flynt made a WSOP final table and tried to make a deal for the braclet involving lots of cash.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You made it past 6 or 7 thousand players, you have to try for one more. Plus you would always know in your heart that you weren't the champion. (Cheesy but true).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely an X-Factor, no doubt, especially when you consider in my example 50% of the time you'll win legitimately.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:39 PM

I'd play it out. Not only is my EV higher, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with all the stupid hype surrounding a WSOP winner without getting the actual money/satisfaction to go along with it.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: The Finals of the 2006 WSOP Main Event. You vs. ??? - WHAT DO YOU

I think I would definitely play it out. Like somebody said there is only one more player to defeat, I'd want in my heart to do my best and try to knock one more person out.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:29 PM

I voted wrong because I can't read.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:49 PM

Take the deal, getting a sweet deal from a
pokerroom for the next 3-5 years will more
than make up for the money. Plus, considering
stated in your problem that villain is paying
the taxes on the 10, the difference is probaly not much
more than $1.5-2 mil
Old 02-20-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd play it out. Not only is my EV higher, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with all the stupid hype surrounding a WSOP winner without getting the actual money/satisfaction to go along with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That "stupid hype" is definitely part of the equation: the negativity that you are obviously referencing but also the X dollars you can roll it into -- where X usually should be > money you're giving up by taking the deal.

But I don't think you can say your EV is higher purely on a fiscal note. Half the time you'll win an extra 4 million legimately, so let's call that 2 million dollars.

Do you think Chris Moneymaker has made more than 2 million over Sammy Farha in endorsements?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:45 AM

The results of this poll are pathetic. This is the World Series... it's not a Sunday afternoon 10k guaranteed on your favorite poker site. Shame on those who would take the fake victory.