Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Player out of action plays another players hand

This happened last night at our bi-weekly game. We had a very lively and loud game last night, alot of joking and banter flying back and forth, good natured of course. People getting up and down from the table if they were not in a hand or if out of position, get up so they could sneak a smoke out back.

Anyhow, I'm in the hand and I'm the dealer sitting in the dealer area of my table. Player named BS had busted out early and was wandering around the table, joking, taunting, etc. Player DD was in the BB, player RR was in the small, I'm on the button.

I deal to the 9 players that were stting at the table, UTG folds MP1 bets, folds around to CO who raises, I fold, SB calls, and BB calls the raise. I deal the flop, SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, CO bets a sizable bet, SB folds, and at this point out of the corner of my eye, I see a call by the BB. I hear a few chuckles. I point to MP1 who also calls. I then hear the voice of BS sitting at the table where player DD was suppose to be and he's sitting in the Big Blind.

Somewhere between me following the action of preflop bets to dealing the flop, player DD had got out of his seat and player BS sat down and decided to play his cards. The small blind player happens to be a fairly large fellow and I must have missed player DD getting up and player BS sitting down in his seat. Well, I'm totally bewildered at why this is happening and I stop the action.

MP1 player that called the big raise and call has a hand he wants to play and is urging me to continue. It just so happens that player DD is the chip leader and was having a hell of a game, he said he told me as he was going out to the back porch for me to fold his hand. With all loud lively noise and me following the table action I did not see or hear him leave (plus my wife says I'm hard of hearing anyway, but that's beside the point).

So, I've stopped the action and I'm somewhat ticked. I explain to the knuckle heads sitting at the table that it's NOT ALRIGHT to do this. I actually wanted to return all action/bets to all players involved in the hand.

But the other's said not to worry about it, "DD will never know". WHAT! That's not the point plus it's not there money. A very brief argument ensued to discuss the situation.

I'll tell you guys the outcome after I see a few responses. Has anyone ever had this happen in a home game?

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Player out of action plays another players hand

It sounds like DD left after the flop so his hand is dead and the call of the post flop bet (the illegal call by BS) is returned to his stack. Play resumes.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:04 PM

Agreed, seems a simple thing to correct. The only action after the dead hand was MP1, so take his bet back, fold DD, and continue. I understand being ticked, but I think voiding the entire hand is about as wrong as stealing from an absent player's stack to play a folded hand.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Return DD's money, from preflop and flop.

KITN for funnyman BS

Continue with the hand. Anyone who complains that they acted on the pot size, ask them if you can come over and play THEIR stack on the next hand. Then KITN for them as well.

No, you don't kill the round and redeal the hand.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

KITN for funnyman BS

Continue with the hand. Anyone who complains that they acted on the pot size, ask them if you can come over and play THEIR stack on the next hand. Then KITN for them as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why return his preflop call? The way I read the OP's post D played the hand as BB and called the raise. He then got up and left after the flop was dealt and he saw the cards.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:57 PM

I think you're right- I misinterpreted the action.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

KITN for funnyman BS

[/ QUOTE ]

Why return his preflop call? The way I read the OP's post D played the hand as BB and called the raise. He then got up and left after the flop was dealt and he saw the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the very brief argument, DD came back from his smoke break outside, we told him what happened, he called BS a few choice words, looked at his cards an decided since he was in the blind, he probably would have seen the flop (he was chip leader by big a margin and $5 bounty chips were in play).

Anyhow, he just decides to fold his hand we all apologize for calling each other's mother a bad name [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (kiss/hug etc...) play resumes and MP1 ends up taking down a big pot.

DD mentioned he had got up from the table when I had my head turned talking with the CO about something. I try to run a tight ship when I deal. I usually deal the majority of the hands unless I need a break. I've found that it helps with the flow of the game, number of hands played, and consistancy.

I make mistakes (I'm not a pro). My point I tried to make to all the guys was, that if this hand was played out without me catching what was going on early in the action, DD could possibly have lost a nice portion of his stack. And we're half through our season with a nice pot building for TOC at the end of the year, I quickly reminded everyone this is going to get more serious because of the pot size that's building. Everyone then agreed, more warm & fuzzys for everyone and we continued play.

BTW - BS is my oldest son (hence the mother calling names) that brought in three new players. I didn't want to make a huge deal out of this for the sake of scaring the guppies. We definitely want them back. All three bought bounty chips, bought rebuys after a bust, and absolutely played the most wonderful poker hands (said very sarcastically).

Old 06-03-2007, 03:32 PM

Ahhh.......a father/son story. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2007, 05:19 PM

Yeah, as in young-gun was way wrong and old-man is always right (of course).

eh...he got over it though, I invited him and his softy boys back to play.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:20 PM

Never had this happen in any game I've been in.

I think the usual play is that when the action gets to BB and there is hand in front of his stack but he is not sitting there, you scoop his cards and fold him and move the action on. (Well, actually since it's a home game you might give a holler and give him a chance to come and play.)

If I was the dealer, I would not allow another player to take action for cards that were not his nor with chips that were not his.

I mean really, what was the point of this? Was he going to pay back the guy if he lost the hand? Was he going to take any profit and put it in his own stack? I'd really like to know BS's answers to these questions.