Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 03:33 PM

Default For your consideration

Ladies and gentlemen, pimps and players, I'm not sure this hand has any merit here but anyway, here we go.

Ok, I'm posting this because after the hand we had this type of discussion:

him: lol
him: you suck
me: ty
him: runner runner omg die
me: lol you played it horrible
him: haha no i didn't
me: um, yes you did

so then today i see that he found my blog (link removed b/c i don't spam like that but hmm, where could you find it if you were interested?) and was kind of nice actually and made me feel kinda bad for being a dick at the table (believe it or not I sometimes say things people don't like- it's better playing live, as I managed to get 2 people kicked out of the Venitian last time I was in Vegas!!)

Anyway, I'm 25/15 or so and he's 21/12 or something. Pf for me was a mistake- I meant to raise but the turbo tables always screw me up and somehow the best games are there (i guess because multi tablers like me get screwed) and so at the last second i clicked call because i think raise>>call>/fold (call is equal OR greater to folding).

So, now that we're deep into the story I'll continue the tale. Or rather, I'll post the hand

1/2

Starting Stacks
Seat 1: Big blind ($61.30)
Seat 2: UTG ($132.65)
Seat 3: LP ($417.20)
Seat 4: CO (Hero) ($397.50)
Seat 5: Button ($236.35)
Seat 6: Small blind ($169.80)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls ($2), LP calls ($2), Hero calls ($2), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Small blind calls ($1), Big blind checks

Flop: ($9) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Small blind checks, Big blind checks, UTG bets ($2), LP calls ($2), Hero raises ($12), <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls ($10), LP calls ($10)

Turn: ($45) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, LP checks, Hero bets ($30), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, LP raises ($90), Hero calls ($60)

River: ($225) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
LP bets ($293), Hero all-in ($293.50), LP calls ($0.50)

Final Pot: $810

Results below:
CO has 8s Js (Full house, jacks full of eights)

Outcome: Hero wins $810
him 33

So bam, I won a pot, holla. But I don't think he played the hand well and I guess I'm here to tell you why (?) because I think some of the newer players might benefit from some street by street analysis here. Let me know what you think.

PF- I think that open limping is bad, and it's best to raise any pair from any position (outside of the blinds for now), especially when first in, so his limp here was his first 'mistake' IMO.

Flop- Yes, the flop is dry so he doesn't really have to protect against draws. But how does calling a $2 bet get money in the pot with the hand we think is best? If villain leads for pot, OK, a call there isn't terrible. But calling $2 here keeps the pot tiny and gives me ods to come along with any old hand I could have had. However, since I had a vulnerable TP I decided to raise, hopefully take it down and see wtf was going on here- it's probably for value versus a min bet/call. After I raise and the initial aggressor calls it's pretty clear we have some hands we kind of like, but a raise there from him looks pretty damn strong, so it's tough to advocate that I think. Rather I would have raised it the first time around, maybe not as much as I did but to $8 or something where a middle pair or TP hand probably isn't folding but something that builds a pot for later streets.

Turn- Ok so he checks the turn and I now have 2 sexy pairs so I make a bet and he check raises me. I hate this because there is exactly 1 hand, IMO, that I can call here w/ that he beats and that's J8 (or I guess 45, if I'm betting that). What is he repping? J8 as well? 86? He called/called the flop and c/r the turn- MONSTER. And he gets paid off, like I said, by 1 hand (J8)- AJ and even AA are easy folds here, IMO. A better line for him would probably be leading, since the 8 didn't really change anything and I'm likely to believe my AJ or whatever is still good and call/raise, or to c/c since the board is still drawless. I nearly folded because he had to have 333 or 666 here almost always IMO but like I said this is probably the only hand I can call with.

River: Well, he's not folding obviously but I don't think he's getting called here WHEN HE'S AHEAD that often, since he's clearly not bluffing, it's nearly impossible to call the turn w/ a lone Jack and when the jack pairs if I had AA or 86 or something I'm clearly finding a fold. I think his best bet might be to check and hopefully induce a bluff from 45 or AA or something that I may have had.

So those are my thoughts. So yes, I went runner runner to decimate your hopes, dreams and bankroll. But I don't really think the hang was played that well from your perspective and hopefully my analysis might help some people think about hands, the game, ranges, bitches and money.

blickets!!

i contributed to the forum!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: For your consideration

[ QUOTE ]
me: lol you played it horrible
him: haha no i didn't
me: um, yes you did

[/ QUOTE ]

terrible chat
Old 06-02-2007, 03:45 PM

He couldn't have played it any worse but you don't have to tell him that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He couldn't have played it any worse but you don't have to tell him that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, i get it, probably not necessary but it's not like I explained to him what was wrong with it or anything. I mean I don't really need to post here and teach everyone here how to play either, you know?

It just seemed like a decent thing to say to a 'lol runner runner' type of comment, I dunno, I'm not usually a chatter but it was pretty atrocious and thought that, from the perspective of a new player or someone learning it doesn't look THAT bad and so if I gave some analysis it might help someone here, that's all.

Basically the fact that he THOUGHT he played it well made me realize that there are certainly some people on this forum who probably thought he did, too, and walking/talking through his decisions street by street would probably be helpful for them.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:57 PM

STOP TAPPING THE GLASS

make fun of the tags and leave the fish alone god
Old 06-02-2007, 05:06 PM

your turn logic makes no sense ... he's repping nothing but a set and I gots 2 pair, I gotta call.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I nearly folded because he had to have 333 or 666 here almost always IMO but like I said this is probably the only hand I can call with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was a good call, knowing what he had to have 333 or 666 almost always?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your turn logic makes no sense ... he's repping nothing but a set and I gots 2 pair, I gotta call.

[/ QUOTE ]

repping only a set? wtf?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:16 PM

his logic, not mine

"I nearly folded because he had to have 333 or 666 here almost always IMO but like I said this is probably the only hand I can call with."
Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his logic, not mine

"I nearly folded because he had to have 333 or 666 here almost always IMO but like I said this is probably the only hand I can call with."

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, maybe I mis-typed but what I meant to say was that he's repping a big hand and the only hand big enough that i could conceivably call w/ on this board is J8 or maybe maybe maybe 86 if I knew something more about him. However being 200BB deep calling $60 here is probably correct if I put him on 33 or 66 because I have 4 outs (10% equity) in a pot that large, even if i give him one combo of 86 or something.

And for the record I don't think was nearly the 'tap the glass' moment you guys seem to think it is, since banter back and forth between players happens all the time saying 'you suck, you played bad, etc' it's not like i TOLD him how to play matter. that mistake was reserved for 2+2.