Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Do you guys like these resteals from Colin\'s internet article?

Hi guys, I stumbled across a link to this internet article and found some stuff on resteals. In honesty, I probably would have folded to all of these raises (PS$60). Do you guys think these are all good spots to resteal? Hand 2-26 looks like the final table of an 18-player tourney due to the stacks. If these are good resteal spots I need to make some major adjustments to my game.

Hand 2-23

Blinds: t100-t200, 4 players

Your hand: You (t1,700) are on the button with KsJc. The small blind (t4,500) and big blind (t5,800) have been inactive for several hands, as have you. The blinds will soon rise to t200-t400.

Action to you:The LAG chip leader (t8,000), first to act, makes a characteristic min-raise to t400.

Question: Do you fold, call, or reraise?

Answer: Resteal all-in. There is t700 in the pot, over 40 percent of your stack. You have a decent hand with showdown potential, and the chip leader will often back away from a foiled steal attempt.

In addition, you need to gamble here. With the big blind at over 10 percent of your stack and just about to double, and the blinds hitting you constantly at 4-way play, you need to make a move. A situation like this one, when you have a decent hand and are the aggressor against opponents who have shown little strength, is the ideal place to risk your chips.

Hand 2-24

Blinds: t100-t200, 8 players

Your hand: You (t1,600) have Qs9s in the big blind. The button (t2,400) is a loose player who routinely min-raises and has yet to be played back at.

Action to you: All fold to the button who min-raises to t400. The small blind folds.

Question: What is your move?

Answer: Push all-in. You have an above average hand, and it is clear the button will double with even marginal hands, so he will most likely fold rather than risk the majority of his stack (a call and loss would leave him with a mere t800). Meanwhile, there is already t700 on the table, nearly half your t1,600 stack. And if you get called, you should still win a reasonable portion of the time, as you will often be against small favorites such as AhTs or 7d7h.

Hand 2-25

Blinds: t50-t100, 8 players

Your hand: You (t2,400) have Ks9c in the big blind.

Action to you:All fold to the aggressive button (t2,300) who raises to t300. The small blind folds.

Answer: Fold. You have a decent hand and are facing an almost certain steal raise. And yet, calling and raising are both problematic. If you call, you are playing a decent-sized pot (t650) out of position. Even if you hit the flop, you may be out-kicked if your opponent had a better-than-expected holding.

Meanwhile, reraising all-in risks t2,300 to win t450, which is not a good enough return on your investment at a point when you are under no pressure to make a move. A smaller raise is more reasonable, but you will be pot-committing yourself if your opponent does not leave the hand, an unnecessary risk when you have well over 20 big blinds.

Hand 2-26

Blinds: t200-t400, 7 players

Your hand: You (t4,500) are the chip leader with KsQs on the button. The tight-aggressive blinds each have around t2,000.

Action to you:The loose-aggressive second chip leader (t3,800) raises to t1,000 from the hijack seat.

Answer: Push all-in. It is unlikely the LAG will want to risk his tournament life finding out what you have. The t1,600 you stand to win uncontested is huge, and will help give you a hammerlock over this table. And if he does call, you are only a significant underdog to a monster hand — AQ, AK, QQ-AA.

Hand 2-27

Blinds: t100-t200, 7 players

Your hand:You (t2,100) have As3s in the small blind. The button (t2,600) is tight-aggressive.

Action to you: All fold to the button whom you have previously seen make blind-stealing raises, who raises to t500.

Answer: Reraise all-in. This is an obvious steal raise, and you have a decent hand. Tight-aggressive players hate being restealed when on a steal, and will fold unless pot-committed. If you do get called, you cannot be much worse than a 2-to-1 underdog with your suited ace unless your opponent has precisely pocket aces (e.g., against kings or ace-jack you are still nearly 2-to-1 to win the pot).
Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Do you guys like these resteals from Colin\'s internet article?

The only hand I might push with is 2-26, i fold everything else without too much thought
Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 AM

most of them are folds unless you have FE and thats what this thread is about, resteals not push/foldbot thread.I would push those hands if I have FE but most times I don't think you have any real FE there because the official raiser has good odds on most 2-26 is a push anyways resteal or not.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:51 AM

I think his article is decent for the most part. The jist of his stuff seems good, but that's what is wrong with it...it's pretty generally based where restealing is pretty specifically sound. i.e. the spots in his article I would want a little more info than the player is LAG or TAG. Devin made a really good post in the Magazine forum.

Linky Doodle
Old 06-02-2007, 12:03 PM

I think 2-26 is a bad push.
All the others I pretty much agree with Colin given the reads he gave.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think his article is decent for the most part. The jist of his stuff seems good, but that's what is wrong with it...it's pretty generally based where restealing is pretty specifically sound. i.e. the spots in his article I would want a little more info than the player is LAG or TAG. Devin made a really good post in the Magazine forum.

Linky Doodle

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link. That was good stuff from Devin. His point about restealing with less than 10 BB's is really good.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:01 PM

I think 2-26 is a bad push.

Yeah it certainly is but the lack of clarification/poor wording is even worse then the author's conclusion. This hand basically plays like a 4-handed bubble since the other 3 people only have about 420 chips each. Calling is +0.5% against ATC and if you remove the 3 short stacks it only drops to -0.1%.

Edited
Old 06-02-2007, 02:11 PM

With his reads these seem fine. But generally at a $60 people play soooo passively and straight up late. You don't see the stealy guys he mentions all that often.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:15 PM

I think in a regular buyin you're FE over an open with under 10bbs is usually like 5% maybe less. If he had 12x in most of these the shoves are fine.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Shaun,

In an MTT, you're right.

However, in a SNG, correct play is extremely tight in early play. This does 2 things, it encourages people to pick on you with trash hands and little min. raises and it makes them respect you more when you push later. Therefore, against min. raises you can actually get away with resteals in some spots vs certain players.

Ryan