Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 03:41 PM

Default GAIN weight?

Hi all. I've read over a few threads and done a few searches. I like the forum and I hope it's here to stay. I noticed a decent amount of stress in this forum on staying lean and weight loss. My problem is that I can't put on any weight. My diet and physical routines right now are fairly inconsistent; however, I have started going to the gym more often. Here is a little about my diet, workout, etc.

I'm 20, weight 120 pounds, and I'm 5'6, and I've been this size for a while. I just started going to the gym where I've been starting with a basketball warmup, then getting on the treadmill or the bike for just over ten minutes. Afterwords I like to do a few of the machines for some of the beach muscles. My diet consists of a lot of takeout and restaurant delivery. I'm a lazy poker player. However, I do try to eat a lot of carbs and protein and I take multi-vitamins occasionally and have the occasional protein bar. I would estimate about 1800-1900 calories a day intake. I used to drink "muscle milk" for weight gain / protein when I worked out a year or two ago, I think I remember gaining a few pounds over a month long period of consistent use while working out.

Another thing to add that may or may not be a factor in my endeavors is that I was diagnosed with a pitutatary gland problem when I was younger. I had to take human growth hormones for a while so that I could be the towering height that I am today. I was never quite sure if that problem could effect my metabolism.

So I'm looking for some advice. I want to gain some weight plz. I'm fine with trying products or changing my workout routines. As far as my normal diet it would be hard to do a complete workaround on that because I really do mostly just rely on the restaurants in my area. I'm really open to anything, however. Holla.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: GAIN weight?

here is a link to what I ate a couple days ago on fitday. Now this is a bigger than usual day for me but you get the idea of how much you have to eat. I was 6' 169 3 weeks ago now I'm at 174. I've been skinny all my life but it's really not that hard to gain weight.

Basically my day went:

cheerios + banana in morning
protein shake before workout
protein shake after workout
2 egg sandwiches for lunch
turkey sandwich about 3ish
bunch of chicken for dinner
PB&J around 9ish
cottage cheese in a protein shake before bed

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=mike0292
Old 06-01-2007, 04:09 PM

Heavy compound lifts, no reason to ever use a treadmill, and just eat a [censored].
Old 06-01-2007, 04:31 PM

duece,

first thing i would do is try and start a food log...use fitday.com , see how much you are actually eating...find a proper weight training regimen, starting strength or whatever...eat more frequently...a lot of people dont eat breakfast so they get all their cals during 1 or 2 meals, have or 6 smaller meals, but give your body cals throughout the day...
Old 06-01-2007, 04:47 PM

Keep a foodlog. Add 500 or so cals to your daily maintenance level the first week, then another 500 the next week, etc until you get to around 3500-4000 cals per day. It's pretty hard to start eating a bunch more immediately, but if you ease into it you'll barely notice.

Also, f beach muscles. You need muscles all over your body, worry about fine tuning it later. Do Starting Strength.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 PM

I eat 1800-1900 calories in my sleep.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 PM

The usual answer...

1.Work your way up to eating 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day. Make three protein shakes a day part of that. Take a multivitamin everyday.

2.Workout 3 times a week doing the big lifts. Throw is some running or biking on the off days if you want.

3. Profit.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:46 PM

where are you guys getting 4k-5k cals per day, thats a ton of food, this guy only weighs 120lbs...

he has no real idea how many cals he is eating per day now...at around 2500 or so he should start gaining, jumping to 4k seems a bit strong...unless he wants to gain a bunch of fat...just work your way up slowly until you find an amount where you are putting on lean muscle w/ limited fat gain...
Old 06-01-2007, 08:54 PM

Like I said in my post... "work your way up." I don't think 4K is excessive at all for someone looking to gain muscle mass while working out hard. 2,500 a day is nothing.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said in my post... "work your way up." I don't think 4K is excessive at all for someone looking to gain muscle mass while working out hard. 2,500 a day is nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

bleh, saying 2500 cals/day is nothing w/o any context is wrong...im 158lbs and gaining weight on 2500 cals...this guy is only 120 lbs, its not unreasonable to think that 2500 cals would have him gaining weight...its dependent on too many things to just say 2500 is nothing...