Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 01:42 PM

Default KTsooted - How bad did I play this?

2/5PL Stack are huge $800 or more
Hero is UTG $260 or so
Hero raises to $15 UTG K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
My only reason for this raise is my super tight image.
1st time I have played with all 9 players & deck has been pretty cold.
mp3calls
SBcalls
pot $50
flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
checks around
turn:8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
sb checks
Hero bets $50
mp3 raises to $100
sbcalls $100
Hero calls $100
Only played about 15 hands with mp3. Seems kinda fishy so minraise tells me very strong or maybe semi weak.
SB is solid so im guessing flush draw.
pot $350
river K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks
Hero bets $145 all in
mp3 raises
sb folds.

mp3 shows nut str8
hero mucks & walks away with tail between his legs. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Re: KTsooted - How bad did I play this?

I really hate your river play. you bet pot on turn and then gets raised. Do you really think villian is doing this with just a lone 8? When you river the k are you trying to bluff villian or to move him of his bluff, cause I really cant see him having anything that you beat.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:19 PM

Raising in a PL game with KT clubs? Eesh. I know you say you have a super-tight image, but that's a trap hand especially from early position. A middle suited connector would be much better.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:27 PM

Raising this UTG in a full ring is asking to get pwned. If anything, your tight image will make them only call the raise with hands that dominate you. Should be a fold.

C-betting the flop probably would make the later streets easier to play. When you raise preflop UTG with a tight image, you should definitely be firing pot on the flop to represent the overpair. If you get called, then you can slow down.

When you fire your c-bet on the turn, you have picked up some outs (probably) but your opponents have picked up another chance to pwn you.

River, you should be check-calling or check-folding, depending on your read. I don't think top-pair meh-kicker is really gonna hold up too strongly here.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:13 PM

you're going to be better off limping here than raising.

example: you raise to $15, and someone in the middle makes it $45, then someone else calls, now you're getting the correct odds to play a dominated hand OOP.

second example: you limp, two or three others limp because they're suspicious because you are tight and limped UTG, and now you get to see a flop with a hand you want to see a flop with.

third example: fold. nothing wrong with this example either, but i like the limp better.

Dont listen to what these other jokers tell you, they dont realize how this game plays, limping UTG is fine, and it only commits you to $5, so it's no big deal folding to a large raise, and by limping you have a chance of seeing a cheap flop with that hand.

Flop: Bad flop for you, but also a bad flop for a ton of hands. You checked why? Well, you didnt have a hand and didnt want to bet a flop and get raised. That's your bankroll talking. It's likely that the guy who made the nut straight was calling a pot sized bet on the flop, but, we'll never know. I do know this, he wasn't calling again on the turn if he missed. I thought you had flopped a set, personally. Little did I know. This flop is a must bet, however, because even though you didn't know it, King-high was actually the best hand on the flop. There were no pairs against you, and you were ahead. That being said, you needed to bet this flop regardless of the information I gave you, because, picking up these kind of pots is real important.

Turn: I dont like this bet after the check on the flop. Sure, it's a semi-bluff, but I'd check this turn having checked the flop. On the turn, you're getting called by a much wider range of hands and pairs than you were on the flop, so you really needed to improve (substantially) to bet this turn.

When you get min-raised on the turn, you should see these bright frickin red flags going up.

You bet $50 on the turn into a $60 pot, and he just made it $100 to go. Then the SB cold calls.

Pot= $310 and it's costing you $50 to draw to the second nuts. 6-1. Damn the small blind for making it correct for you to call.

River- One pair isn't going to win this hand.....check and fold.

So, in hindsight- limp UTG and hope it doesnt get raised, if it does, usually fold.

Having raised, Bet the flop.

If called, be vewwwy vewwwy cayful. He's a wascally wabbit.

River- Make your flush and bet, miss your flush and check/fold.

The game usually doesnt play that big- I was surprised.

Keep killing that 1-2 for another two or three months and take another shot.

And dont feel bad, I lost $20,000 before I could even get my feet wet at the Redman.

Tex
Old 02-20-2006, 04:56 PM

So basically I played every street like total S**T. Just as I thought. Moral of the story... Dont play above yout roll
Old 02-20-2006, 05:01 PM

I don't think its so much about playing above your roll as playing well. This wouldnt be a good play no matter what stakes you're playing. Dominated hands like KT are usually big trouble in NL, if you were to just fold it whenever you saw it, you'd probably be better off.

(end criticism)

The good news is, you're in the right place to get better. Keep reading and posting, and soon enough, hands like this won't happen.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:29 AM

I think you played it very bad. 56, 67 are great hands to bust a pre flop raiser with if you hit. They are easy to walk away from if you dont hit and huge profit makers if you do hit. Next time you have to bet that flop, get rid of those draws. If they make a bad call then thats on them. Also why bet all in on the river? Only way your getting called here is if youre beat. he gave you all the signs of hitting a str8 on the turn (checking flop and then miniraise on the turn with a player to act after him) he wanted those calls.