Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 PM

Default 10-20 Live with trips, how\'d I do?

Game is 5 handed and villian is tight, but is a very thinking player, can analyze hands well. I'm seen as a TAG that will make plays, but shows down strong hands in big pots. He has about 3500 and I cover. 4 way limped and I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. checks to me and I bet out 70, a short stack shoves for his last 150 and then vilian cold calls it. I am pretty sure he has a 5 and I make it 500. He calls. Turn is a 3, and he cc's my 700 bet. River is a 7, flush never hits. He checks, I bet 700 and he raises all in, 1650 left for me to call. Mind you he was in the BB and I wasn't sure if he'd cr all in on river without a boat. How'd I do and is this always a call?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: 10-20 Live with trips, how\'d I do?

I don't play a lot short-handed, but I would've just checked behind on the river. The short-stack shove has this pot very inflated already, and I'd like to show it down against a tight, thinking player. As played, with that player description, I think you're probably beat.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:52 AM

I agree with you for the most part. But I just felt like I'd be missing out on a lot of EV by not vb'ing river.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:03 AM

was villain in the blinds? this makes a big difference.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
was villain in the blinds? this makes a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it? K5, 75, 35 are all in overlimping range.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:12 AM

What were the preflop positions of you and villain? His hand is either a full house or a missed flush draw. There is no other hand he can play like this unless hes retarded. If he was gonna make a move with a dry 5, he would have done it on the turn or flop where he could rep a draw and try to get you to call off weak. Im thinking hes made off the flop or on a draw. I call either way, especially since your turn and river bet being the same amount look weak. If you think he has a 5, id bet more on the river like 1500.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Results?

Anyhow, I agree with your value point, but I really need a strong sense I'm ahead to make the bet. Basically, I think the philosophy is pretty good to check the river even with good hands if a CR will make you sick. Of course, if you do have the strong sense of being ahead, then, yeah, go ahead and bet and call the CR.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:37 PM

You have to be beat here, but I still call, just to bitch about the bad beat.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 PM

Given the fact that he is a tight and thinking player, I'd check behind on the river. What is he going to call with that you can beat? Only hands with he likely never would have played in the first place (save a little suited connector with a 5, that he would have played more aggressively). You represented the big 5 the whole time.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 PM

I don't understand why everyone is saying this is a crying call or check behind on the river, etc. Villain was in the BB and could play any 5 this way. You should have bet bigger on the river to get more value out of a weaker 5. For that matter, you should have probably bet bigger on the turn too, like 1000 or so, and then just pushed on the river. As played, call the shove.