Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Opening up your game = $$.....really?

At first when I started getting serious w online poker I watched cardrunners, 2p2, blablabla and tried to play a game that what I thought to be LAG, even though 20/17 type stats are what most here would call TAG. Anyway those were the stats I was aiming for. Between jan and march I was grinding out 50 NL and taking shots at 100. BTW, always playing 3-6 tables for all games I mention in this post. My stats for the 2 are almost identical (pretty small sample sizes for both, but 100 is like only 6k hands) and they are 19/14/4 winning 3.73 PTBB/100 @ 50nl and (1.13) @ 100. I was thinking, but I dunno I guess I was more focused on just being aggressive and the bully. Not that that's wrong, but for me it was because I was more focused on that then on making the right decisions. I was being agg just for the sake of being agg. Even though my stats dont really reflect it, that was my mindset.

April. Studied more and I guess things about the game started clicking. I didnt focus on tightening up my game, but I guess it just happend as a result. 1st half of the month I played mostly 50NL with the same stats as march with only a 2PTBB/100 wr. But I was taking more and more shots at 100 and stayed up there. Played tighter, not because I was scared of the stakes, but because my game was changing. Focused more on making the right decisions instead of agg autopilot. 16/13/3.75, 7 PTBB/100

May. Basically all 100NL. Took some shots and was running hot at 200 for a while but went on a downswing there so stuck with 100. I feel like my game is right where it should be, but my stats are what everybody would call nitty. Focused MUCH more on villians HUD stats and tried to watch more hands that I wasnt involved in. Instead of aiming to reach idealistic stats that supposedly crush these games, I just focused on decisions decisions decisions and whatever stats I have whatever. I like $$ more than numbers on a computer screen. 15.7/13/3.2, wr 13.10 PTBB/100 hands.

Seems like a brag post, kind of is. I admit I might have been running hot, sample sizes arent huge, 13 BBs is probably not sustainable, etc. I just feel like there's too much of a coincidence with my winrate and nittyness having an absolutey direct relationship. I even feel like these winrates should be higher because there were so many AI spots where everything in me knew I was no good but I coudn't bring myself to lay down (everybody knows the feeling). You think to yourself "I know my hands no good, but this is such a nitty fold any good player would make this call" so you call. -EV.

I dunno, haven't posted in a while cuz HHs get real old so I figured I'd just put this out there. Maybe opening up their game is good for other players. I don't believe that there is just 1 style and approach to 6max that is best, but I do believe that every player needs to find their own rythm and quit focusing on fitting into a certain standard. Feel free to respond your thoughts or hijack the thread with any thoughts or AHA experiences or anything like that. I just feel like theres too much HH and not enough threads like this on these forums.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Opening up your game = $$.....really?

Maybe your postflop game sucks so when you play less bad hands your mistakes on the flop get smaller so you win more.

Just a thought.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:45 PM

I agree with you 100%. There is more than one way to beat SSNL cash games. Play the style you are most comfortable with, and profit.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:46 PM

if youre sample size is 10k hands its going to be hard to get any meaningful results.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:49 PM

Old 05-31-2007, 01:52 PM

It's really simple:

Playing LAG is better in games where you have a lot of FE (aka NOT SSNL)

Playing TAG is better in games where everyone stacks of with TPTK (aka SSNL)
Old 05-31-2007, 01:57 PM

40k is in the same boat. When I first started playing I would correlate change in my game to change in results way more than I should have, and I think it's something you should be careful of.

I think it's obvious that there is more than one way to beat the game, the reason that people evangelize LAG play is that it has the highest upside. TAG/nit play has its benefits though, it's usually predictably profitable and obviously has lower variance than LAG play. The key is to use your image against your opponents, whatever your style is. And when you're a TAG you are going to have plenty of opportunity to 4bet the LAG who keeps 3betting you for profit, and making moves that they don't think you can make.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's really simple:

[/ QUOTE ]

your reasoning isnt necessarily true
Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's really simple:

[/ QUOTE ]

your reasoning isnt necessarily true

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about as true as 2 lines can explain. Just read matrix's PB if you want a long explanation.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe your postflop game sucks so when you play less bad hands your mistakes on the flop get smaller so you win more.

Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe certain styles are better for certain people.

OP if TAG is making you the money, there's no reason to deviate. You will probably have to open up some when you move up in stakes, but that's a bridge to cross when you get there.