Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 11:15 AM

Default 16$ Turbo optimum play at Stars

Hi, was wondering if anyone can tell me what they believe is the optimum way to play at the 16$ Turbo stars. I've seen some "regular" turbo pros play up to 20 games at once and i would to somewhat play like them.

As of right now, for the early stages of the game i play very tight folding everything except AA,KK,QQ. My hand that bothers me in the early stages is JJ. I'm not quite sure if i should open with a raise at this level (or just fold it), and if i should be willing to go all in with a ragged flopped. For example: What happens if we open the hand with JJ UTG and someone reraises all in? Is it a +EV to call here in the long run?

For the mid/late game. I just play a standard Pushbot style until payout based on programs like SNGwiz and SNGEGT.

Give me your thoughts, i know it's a very general post, however i do not feel like getting into details. Thanks for your time
Old 05-31-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: 16$ Turbo optimum play at Stars

If JJ is ahead of there range call. If it is behind fold. The rest is just details
Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 AM

two things. Your playing way to tight. Two, depending on the player I may or may not call.

Thats where stat tracker and poker ace come into play.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:02 PM

You have the general idea behind it although only raising AA kk and QQ at the beginning levels is relatively tight. You can loosen that up to JJ+ and AK while limping in the lower levels with smaller pocket pairs and play those just for set values. As far as JJ goes, this hand is more read dependent than anything I think. Against a regular, im folding this at the earlier levels b/c their range early has you crushed. Hope this helps you a little bit. goodluck
Old 05-31-2007, 12:03 PM

For the JJ hand, for an average player at this level. what would you suggest, there is no way of knowing their call ranges early on the game, against the average player is this a +EV, to push with the JJ in the early levels(1,2,3) preflop or on a ragged flop.

RRizGod, although it seems like this is too tight i think it's best to play the tightest possible early on. In turbo, the blinds go up very fast and if you start playing marginal hands and losing, you'll find yourself with a very low M very quickly. Even though hands such as AK have higher value, you have to hit the pair for you to win. You can continue bet but i feel at this level lots of players hand on to low hands such a bottom pair, or even low pocket pairs after the flop. I find you're better off playing very tight early on and then changing gears in the later parts of the game.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the JJ hand, for an average player at this level. what would you suggest, there is no way of knowing their call ranges early on the game, against the average player is this a +EV, to push with the JJ in the early levels(1,2,3) preflop or on a ragged flop.

RRizGod, although it seems like this is too tight i think it's best to play the tightest possible early on. In turbo, the blinds go up very fast and if you start playing marginal hands and losing, you'll find yourself with a very low M very quickly. Even though hands such as AK have higher value, you have to hit the pair for you to win. You can continue bet but i feel at this level lots of players hand on to low hands such a bottom pair, or even low pocket pairs after the flop. I find you're better off playing very tight early on and then changing gears in the later parts of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference between playing tight and being a NIT.

You are displaying NITTY qualities. I would cut you up if your only raising those top 3 hands. Your way to predictable.

Second, you can tell after 5-10 hands with some people if they are total idiots. A good player, I'm folding all day to that all in raise. A bad player, I may call. The thing is, I know I can out play people later, so it may not be worth calling off that many chips when the blinds are small.

FYI, I know a thing or two about the 16's.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:54 PM

I understand where you're coming from however this isn't cash games. And there is no way you can know that i would only raise with these hands early on unless u have notes on me. Most players are total fish who don't take notes. Although it does seem very tight, stealing chips at 10/20,15/30 isn't that big of a deal. I mean no disrespect anyways, i hope to get other people's opinion on this. I'm sure their will be others that play a similar style.
I can't say i'm a pro at 16$ games however, i did play on a table with a "regular 16$ turbo Pro" and from what i saw he played a very similar style.. he was folding almost every hand early on. Then stealing with All in pushes when the M was at around 10 or lower.
I'm curious, how many tables do you play at once?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:04 PM

Playing only QQ+ in early levels isn't really a style, its just wrong. You are missing a ton of value from hands that you are folding that can easily be limped, 22+,KQs,AQ, not to mention you should be raising AK. It may appear to be the same play as one of the regs in the 16s, but I can guarantee you that every single on of the good regs do not play this tight early on.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sn: rrigod

6 tables at a time on my lap top. If I had a better set up, I would imagine I could probably handle 8-10 tables. I do this for a hobby, not a job.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This wasn't directed at me, but I play 8-12 tables and play far more hands than you do in the early levels. This goes for basically every regular, including those who play 20+ tables. Playing more than QQ+ in early levels would definitley improve your game.